What is this brown problem??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Mar 4, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have 2 customers having problems with their shrubs, getting alot of brown spots on leaves and it looks like ****. Any ideas on what this could be? Please advise ASAP.

brown spots.jpg

2. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf spot?

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Chuck but you'll need to determine wheather it's caused by a bacteria or fungus.

4. What's the temp. been?

5. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Ligustrum.......? If so, to much water. Will go away as soon as a new flush of growth comes and old leaves drop. Can you correct the water problem? with regards... devildog

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

it appears to be leaf spot from looking at it. if you go to
    www.hort.uconn.edu and click on the IPM section, they have a writeup on leaf spot. it sounds and looks like what you have, but it could be something different as well.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

It appears to be a form of insect damage. Although I can see where a blight of some kind appears to be a secondary cause.
    Dependent upon temps, a brief warm up will release certain species of aphids which cause a pattern of injury seen here then the disease pathogen takes over.
    I would:
    #1 check for insect infestation on both the plants and in the soil
    #2 check for disease through a analytical report from a reputable testing facility in your area.

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

It almost looke like Camellia sasanqua with leaf spot.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Aphids.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Are that photo from yesterday, or last summer? Broadleaf evergreen, then? What have temps been if current pic? What side of structure (E,W,N,S) are plants on?