what is this from?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by grassman88, May 27, 2011.

1. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i am thinking its from to much water its sod i installed 5 weeks ago the people told me they were going to mow it well get a call the other day asking if i can cut it for the first time then they will take over well it was 12" tall and we had a week or rain now it looks like this

[​IMG]

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

They shouldn't have let it get so tall. Probably shocked it or cut all the green out of the blade. Ironite should green it up until it recovers. That's why I always include the first cut in my sod jobs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

im thinking thatch, but not sure. Just cut a lawn that was at least 20" long today. old crapsman cut through it like butter! anyways the lawn i cut had tonnes of thatch build up....could be wrong though

4. grassman88

from mass

this pic was taken today i cut it on monday to me it looks like red thread, its not thatch its a new lawn. but wanted to see what other think

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Has it been hot enough for RT? Never seen it in new sod since its usually well fertilized from the farms.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. grassman88

from mass

red thread is caused by to much water and moister and its been 80+ the past couple days it rained everyday last week with no sun at all, this week its been hot and humid

7. grassman88

from mass

could be shocked from the mowing to as you said

8. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

The Red Thread is already starting here. I'm not sure what's going on in your pic though, is this all over the lawn or just in a few areas?

9. grassman88

from mass

yea some of my other lawns have red thread and i think its only in a few areas. the problem is this lawn is so small it cost me more in gas to get there then they think they should be paying me to mow it