1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is this growing in my yard.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

I have some sort of weed or moss growing in my yard. It is light green and has about 2 inch thin shoots that come off of it and there appears to be seeds of some sort at the base. It grows in patches and has been doing it all winter. How do i get rid of it?

2. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

Is there anyway for you to post a picture? Is there alot of shade?

3. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

I will have to get some pictures tomorrow. No there is not any shade but there is alot of bare spots. My soil quality is really poor. The house was built 2 years ago and about 4 foot of topsoil was taken off during grading. Now i am left will a clay and dirt mix. I am slowly trying to get the yard in descent shape.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Pics please...otherwize we are blind to your problem.
    And unable to point you in the right direction for a solution .

5. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

It sound like you are going to have to do a complete do over to me. You should at the least have a good 3" to 4" of topsoil. Once clay dries you can kiss your grass good bye. I let you know for sure after I see some pictures. You'll probably also want to get a soil test done too. You can go to your local extension office and buy a soil test then send it in. They'll be able to tell you what your ph level is and how to balance it.