What is this growing in the lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by godjwood, Apr 9, 2010.

1. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

Sorry about the poor pictures I took them with my phone:

Clump of different grass in lawn:
    [​IMG]

Clumps of grass from distance:
    [​IMG]

2. Pro-Cut Lawn Care

Pro-Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Looks like Fescue

3. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

So what do you think it is. Heck i though he was asking about the white fuzzy stuff
    Charles Cue

5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

His Curiosity :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm uh huh go on, that might work, I got it! Install a new lawn and make a profit!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm no cool season turf guy but even I can see that lawn looks like "damnit". Not sure, but it looks like somebody tried to starve it to death... Weeds would be the least of my concerns at this point.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ted is right. Clumps could be poa annua, or more likely a type of cheap perennial rye or maybe some leftover annual rye from pervious overseedings. Can you see any seed heads? Ligule? Boat shape leaf tip? Looks like the bluegrass is still dormant, but the rye is greened up. This lawn needs some tender loving care--and when you overseed this fall--stay with the top-quality seed.

9. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

I always use top quality seed. That sounds about right that it could be rye. The lawn looks pretty good during the summer when it is peak growing season just now everything is just starting to green so that would make sense it is rye. Should I be concerned or is this normal for a fescue/bluegrass/rye lawn in very early growing season? No seed heads. I dont remember seeing a ligule just looks like lawn grass to me.