What is this? ID please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gsxr1100, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Hi, I need some help here. Can someone tell me what this is (light colored grass). Is it a fescue or weed?

Also how do I get rid of it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for the help!
    Mike

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

From what it looks like you have some sort of fungus, dollar spot perhaps, and some poa or lighter green rye mixed in the lawn. ID the fungus and change cultural practices first, if that dosen't get rid of it then a fungicide may be necessary. If the lighter grass is poa, good luck, its hard to get rid of. If its rye you'll need to kill it(round up) and reseed with a darker green grass.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Take a sample to your local extention office for a positive id, but it looks like the early stages of crab grass. It always comes in a real light lime green color them it matures and grows into that hidious thing that god put on earth to keep us busy in our fescue yards when the heat come on. If this is what i think it is, now is the time to go find a post emergent fertilizer with little to no nitrogen. I just purchased a 0-0-15 with confront which is a post emergent that should kill this early growth of crab grass. after it matures, it is hopeless with out the use of round up. I hope this helps. If it is a customer lawn, take this oportunity to suggest a yearly fertilization program that will catch this stuff early.

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa..... the sample idea was a good one. Confront, however, is a broadleaf weed control and is no longer labelled for residential turf.

gsxr1100: Close up pictures would also help us ID the weed if you don't have a extension center convenient to you.

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I believe I see some seed heads on the second picture which looks like poa annua.

6. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Thanks everyone..I WILL post a up close picture and one with some pulled out of the soil tonight.

7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like poa to me. If your weather has been hot lately, poa will begin to die out, leaving that brown you are seeing. Do a search on this site, the problem has been discussed extensivelyand there's a lot of good information here.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Confront Is Indeed A Broadleaf Post Emergent, But If You Read The Bag, It Will Also Kill Crab Grass In Its Immature Stage. Also, I Don't Know How Things Are In Your Area, But I Purchase Confront On A Regular Basis Under The Lebanon Brand Name For Residential Accounts. I Don't Understand Why You Wouldn't Use It Resedentially. I Am Treating A Type Of Grass And It Doesn't Care Where It Is Growing. But I Could Be Wrong. It Happens Regularly Since I Am Human. Thanks

9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Unless Lebanon has removed Clopyralid from their mix, DOW has voluntarily removed the residential label for Clopyralid. You might want to revisit the label.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We had this in one of our clients props last year. This is drastic, but it didn't take much effort. We simply cut it out and re-sodded with the correct sod. Seeding would be effective also, but not in July.