What is this, making a cast of the lawn?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 27, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know, or am pretty sure, that this is someones attempt at compost. BUT, how do you look at this and think anything is going to grow? And what do you say to the customer? There is another area that looks like some animal died and their skin and hair are left over laying on the lawn that I did not get a pic of. It is one big peice of... matted hair? I don't know. I am not asking just yet either, the stuff seems to be breaking down, it's a new lawn, fescue being taken over by bermuda, so I am not too concerned. I will handle it this fall. The customer never said anything about it, so I will let it stay. I think. Just one more thing to have to fight/worry about.

Am I wrong in just leaving it? Nothing will grow there but weeds anyways.

goop.jpg

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Opportunist fungi, nothing else there and they take over

DIVERSITY is the word of the day, the ability to have the SOM to have diversity

SOM is the fuel that makes it work, finished compost fits the bill

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

tell him the truth, I have never been wrong about being real with a customer, treat them the way you want to be treated, just tell him the facts if he ask.

and if that was represented as compost then that's a slap in the face to all legitimate composters, that is a food source for compost, but is a long ways off of being compost.

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

that is what I was thinking when I saw it. I just shook my head. I could still read the print from the newspaper in it. It has about decomposed for the most part and I am sure everytime they run over it it tears it up some more.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Looks Like A Cotton Candy Drive By