What is this on the Rhodie leaf ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Eakern & Dog, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Any idea of what kind of virsus this might be ?

elise turf 0071.JPG
  2. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Could be anything. Got more pics? Rhododendrons are prone to plenty of issues. Biggest issue is wet feet.
  3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say from that picture. It sort of looks like stippling - the symptoms of damage from insects with piercing, sucking mouth parts.

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Could it be lacebugs? I know that Azaelas (in the same family as Rhodies) get lacebugs. and the leaves look similiar to that.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked under the leafs with a lupe? I agree, mites or lacebugs quite possibly. You can wipe a white piece of paper on the bottom of the leaf and red streaks may show up if you have azalea mites, or red spider mites. Black specs on the under side might mean lacebugs.
  6. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I will try to get a better picture. I will send a sample off to the county extention service as well.
  7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like Rhododenderon Tip Midge damage to me. It's probably too late to do anything for the insects, as they usually emerge from the ground in the spring, lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves and then the 1st generation sucks the juices out of the leaf, creating the curved, rolled, deformed edges. Do some research on that insect to find out for sure.