What is this pest on boxwoods?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HLM86, Dec 14, 2011.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

Wintergreen Boxwoods. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Your pictures come up as empty boxes with a red XX

3. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

Wintergreen boxwoods. Only one of six has declined to the point of the brown foliage in the attached picture.

DSC00463.JPG

DSC00467.JPG

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That look's like salt to me. See how it has traveled to the edge of the leaf. In Savannah salt intrusion into the fresh water is a possibility. It take's a lot to kill a boxwood, salt would do it.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like powdery mildew to me. easy to treat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Dr.NewEarth

I've had Buxus sp. look that way up here. There have been a few reasons...weavils, broken branch, weed eater damage to the cambium, too much water...

Trim the dead branches off down low,and monitor it.

Is the hedge next to the driveway? A hot exhaust pipe can do damage that looks like that too.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not rule out a dog.

8. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I have 5 plants still in nursery containers. I put 12 in the ground in October. They all look the same with the red in the leaves and the white on them. They are slowly declining. I was thinking some kind of blight or powdery mildew, but I'm still learning pest ID. I had a Euonymous with the same white stuff on the foliage, and I blasted it with a water hose and its still there but the plant looks completely healthy otherwise. Thanks for the responses.

9. Dr.NewEarth

It looks similar to a magnesium deficiency.

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

For a definitive answer send a sample to the plant pathologist at UGA. For a in-state resident it should only be 5-10 dollars.