What is this problem ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what is it on?
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It looks like some sort of bacterial outbreak, I couldn't name it though. It look like to me that a bacteria (maybe a fungus) thinks that that leaf is a darn good source of food.
  4. ArizPestWeed

Photenia , that's not spelled right
  5. ArizPestWeed

They had Oleanders there before , cut them down 4 years ago because of fungus , they said .

I dug up stumps and planted these last summer and and this.

I bought the home 1.5 years ago

6. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

The fungus is entomosporium leaf spot. You'll likely never get rid of it until you get rid of the photinias. You can treat it with Daconil ultrex for some control, but you'll be doing it regularly. The most common contributing factors are overwatering (#1), poor circulation (i.e. not opening/thinning the plants), and poorly drained soil (#2).
  7. tbrom

tbrom LawnSite Member
    from 77833

That is exactly what it is. I had the same problem on my 15 foot red tip photinias last year and was told unless I treated them regularly they would all die. I have 8 of them this tall and sprayed them one time. They eventually recovered and all look fine for now. It is caused by a root fungus and it spreads rapidly. Especially in poor drainage or overly wet soils. Because Texas had so much rain last year that may have been what caused it. Good Luck!
  8. ArizPestWeed

3 in a roll , I forget what they are called , a french word .
    They are growing on lattice .
    They cost $130 each , so I do wnata save them

9. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

They are espaliers. If you want to save them, judging by the photo I suggest monitoring irrigation closely and only watering when needed, improving drainage (if still possible), and investing in a fungicide (Banner Maxx will also control this leaf spot). It looks like they may have been planted too deeply. There appears to be a swale right around the rootball that would hold water. If they haven't been in very long, you might be able to raise them up and planted them a little higher.

I'm not sure I understand why someone would espalier a photinia. The draw of this plant is the attractive new growth, and an espalier requires removal of much of the new growth to maintain a suitable form. If you get tired of treating the photinias, (which will be expensive) I would suggest you try an espaliered camellia or varietal magnolia to get some flowering. Or you could use pyracantha or podocarpus if you just want something green.
  10. ArizPestWeed

i wnated a natural barrier from my neighbors and I love Photinia
    I have seen a home surrounded by it .
    Photinia is my favorite tree/scrub .
    I plan on buying 8-10 more to finish the barrier this year

Thanks everyone for your help