what is this Tree and Shrub

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by jiggz, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

i want to look up some advice on pruning before i just go cutting.. i see these multi stemmed shrubs alot and i always forget to ask the name..

heres the tree
    [​IMG]

and the shrub
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks in advance

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Seriously?

No wonder this industry isn't viewed as professional.

Could I suggest you go find the local extension office\ag school\something and take a plant ID course.

And yes, I do know what they are.

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking this same thing, Mark. And even if they can be identified doesn't mean you will know how to trim them.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I also think it would be important to know what you are about to do surgery on and when is the best time to do it. The forsythia for instance should be trimmed after it bloomed, do it now and it probably won't get many if any flowers in the spring

the weeping willow should be left to grow

do a little research it is very easy with the internet or better yet buy a book and keep it with you to identify plants and shrubs as you go through your weekly route

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Take it easy on the guy, he came on a "professional" forum and asked a question. Why are you persecuting him, at least he didn't go out and just start hacking. Everyone has to start somewhere.

6. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.. see if he went out and killed the plant and came on here asking why it died than maybe you can give him some s**t but he asked first and he's obviously asking cuz he wants to learn. Nothing wrong with learing on this forum this is where i've learned almost everything.

7. Mark Oomkes

Maybe so, but I really think something as basic as a willow and forsythia ought to be fairly common knowledge if you're "in the industry".

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and apologize. The suggestion to take a plant ID course stands.

8. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

I knew the first one not the second myself but im taking that course this yr.
    and your deff right about that.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well .... isn't that mighty christian of ya.

Perhaps you would like to point out the identifying characteristics of these two plants per the posted pics .... then provide their latin name.

10. Mark Oomkes

Thanks.....