What is this Tree?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JimLewis, May 26, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I just got back from a very relaxing, much deserved, week-long trip to La Quinta (Palm Springs), California. Had an awesome time there.

But I was amazed at the drastically different landscaping plants and trees there. One tree that really caught my attention was this tree (pictured below). It had sets of small leaves on it, similar to a Gingko Tree. But it's flowers were what made it stand out. It had huge clusters of bright purple flowers all over. The picture really doesn't do it justice. They are really gorgous trees. And I hear they only bloom this time of year.

I am sure they must be common in Southern states and other parts of CA. Can someone ID it for me?

100_5436.jpg

2. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Looks like Paulownia to me.

3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

That is what it is.

4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in So California I say its a Jacaranda. I was in Palm Speings last weekend and I saw those blooming.

5. JimLewis

Paulownia isn't right. I checked those out on Google Image Search and they have large, single leaves and larger flowers. Definitely not that.

Like I said, the picture I took isn't a great one. I can definitely see where it looks like Paulownia from far away.

I think the Jacaranda is the right answer. I checked out several dozen pictures of that tree on Google Image search too and every picture was consistent with what I saw there. Leaves are the same, flowers the same, everything.

Thanks, Desert Rose!

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That was my first guess.

7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

The species name of Jacaranda ( mimosifolia ) tells me that the leaves are compound, as you stated. When blooming, the Paulownia's leaves are absent to very small.

After reading about the Jacaranda, I want one or two.

8. JimLewis

Yah, they are astounding trees. Aside from the amazing palm trees in Palm Springs, these trees stood out the most out of everything.

They look like big huge round shaped Ginkgo trees, but with huge Lilac blooms all over. Such a strange combination, but awesome too.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It is a Jackaranda and everyone wants one when they are in bloom and you cant sell one when they are not. Very messy trees, they like to be near turf for the added moisture and nitrogen. They are always sluffing off those big compound leaves, all that is left is the stems and the mowers don't pick them up too well. They probably do well in a less abusive environment but thats the Phoenix story on them.

Jim if you ever get to Phoenix let me know I will show you around, we have a mutual friend, Jim from Fertile Earth.

10. JimLewis

Cool. I like to travel to Palm Springs area. And I've always wanted to go to Phoenix or at least travel over there for a day or so when we are in the Palm Springs area. So next time I go to that area, maybe we'll take a day trip to AZ and meet up. C'Ya.

Jim