What is this weed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scagboy227, May 28, 2006.

1. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

i have about 20 of these little things coming up in my front yard and i want to know what it is and how i should kill it

DSCN1543.JPG

2. scagboy227

and this is my front yard where the weed is

DSCN1540.JPG

3. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

Plantain.
    2,4 D

4. scagboy227

so how do i kill it

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

2,4-d

as stated above.

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

ITRY told you what it is and what to use. Use 2-4-D in a sprayer and it will look real sickly the next day. For homeowner's use a good brand with 2-4-D is Ortho's Weed Be Gone.

Nosmo

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn weed killer, kills the weeds and not the lawn.
    Made by ortho, available at Home Depot and since it's your lawn, you don't need a special license for applications made as a homeowner.

Ignore the wise guys.

8. If you want a good kill: READ AND FOLLOW THE LABEL INSTRUCTIONS.

I know it's kind of redundant to say that on the lawnsite forum but people can do some ignorant stuff.
    I was mowing a client the other day. I noticed their maintenance department had been out killing weeds in the cracks in the sidewalk. Using FULL STRENGTH 2,4-D!!
    I could see the little oily stain on the crack and weed killer smell would knock you over. Just wasteful and ignorant. I could have lost my license if someone thought I did it.

Sorry scagboy, sermon's over...Just read & follow...

BTW it's a broadleaf plantain.

Nice pic of the weed.

Dave

9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Trimec classic works well on broadleaf plantain. Should start curling right up within a day or so.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Any good broadleaf herbicide will work. Momentum FX, 3 way, or Ortho Weed B gone will do