what is this weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bug-guy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

and how to get rid of it!!

common bermuda grass lawn

weed.jpg

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

crabgrass maybe, I can't really tell from the pic very well, I think it's crabgrass. Revolver will kill it, grassy weed killer from lesco. That stuff will kill it no matter what it is. It will take a week or two and you may need to do 2 apps but give it a minute, the stuff works but works slow.

Down south they call it St. Augustine, wouldn't that be great? A weed for a lawn? How much easier does that get? I don't know what it takes to grow a St. Augustine lawn, I just know it doesn't take much at all to grow crabgrass.

3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to tell from the pics, maybe Junglerice? I haven't seen any here yet but it's right around the corner.

4. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

Looks like either young Bermuda or Kilkutgrass. Both are very hard to get rid of.

6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it looks like goosegrass maybe. is it hairy around the collar like robin williams?

7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

definitely not bermuda, the leaves are way to thick and the growing pattern doesn't follow anything like that. just spray it with the revolver and it will be gone.

8. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

The pic on the weed alert site is not very good, IMO. Goosegrass has a distinctive looking crown. Do a google image search to compare.

Pretty sure it is goose.

9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Goosegrass. MSMA and Sencor or Revolver. Judging by the ground, shade is preventing the bermuda from being aggressive.

Good info:
    turfweeds.utk.edu/presentations/problems_post_goosegrass_control.pdf