What is this??????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by procut, Sep 28, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know what this is, what causes it, and how it can be treated. Thanks.

lawn1.jpg

2. procut

Here's another. They are like a spiral divot type thing about 3/4" to 1" deep.

lawn2.jpg

3. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

not sure but I have something like that on one of my lawns too. We picked the account up late this year and it was there already. If Anyone knows what it is I'd like to know too.

4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

No roots so I thought maybe grubs, but it was only a small area.

5. procut

I pulled up a few patches of sod and couldn't find any grubs, so thats not it. The same thing happened to this lawn the same time of year, about 2yrs ago. It eventually went away come spring, but now its back.

6. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

What you have there are critters going after grubs. Could be coons, possums or skunks. Happens around here all the time early fall. Trust me, that is what is causing the problems. Just trapped out a coon from a customer that had the same problem. Check with your local DNR before trapping to see if it is legal or not before doing so.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what the above post said. Skunks and such also go after earthwprms, large insects, etc.. Deer also do this, but not for meat.

8. procut

Interesting. Like I said, I pulled up a couple pieces of sod and didn't see any grubs, did see a few earthworms.

So would trapping be the best way to solve this problem???

9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Live traps work good. Be prepared to catch anything, especially skunks. Check with your local laws on animal removal. Your local humane society or animal control may even set out traps for you as well. Get rid of the critter and you will get rid of the problem.

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

What about squirrels burying nuts? It's that time of year, you said it happened the same time a few years back. Is it near a wooded area or near oaks? Something else to consider. Marc