What Is This?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Dec 16, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a lawn I have been maintaining for about three years now. The lawn was in bad shape but she wanted it maintained on a regular basis. I suggested that she let me renovate the lawn with fesuce and she agreed. Know that I have been mowing this lawn during this the cold season I have notice what you see in the pics. It looks like something is burrowing into the ground and pushing up little balls of dirt. This owner has told me that this happens every year around the fall through the winter but its the first time I have been mowing during this time of year to see it.

Im trying to see if anyone knows what this is so I can try to fix it. This customer is very pleased with this renovation and she has a lot of influence in this community. I would be the man if I can correct a problem that has been bothering her for years.

Thanks for all your help in advance.:)

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Back in Louisiana we called them Craw-dads

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

:laugh: That IS what it looks like but I've never seen them in a yard.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I always thought it was night crawlers. (worms that come to the surface at night. You can see them if you stand still for a few minutes and then hit the lights. Gotta be fast though.)

I could be wrong......:confused:
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking also. I have gone outside at night and seen them doing the same thing.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Used to have them in my parents yard in NE Louisiana. They would often pop up in spring and early summer after rains.
  7. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

That's what I thought it was too. But I always seen them were it's real damp like near a creek or lake.
  8. horticulturedawg

horticulturedawg LawnSite Member

worm castings. If anybody knows how to get rid of them I am interested. I know they are good for soil aeration, but in a reel mowed zoysia lawn in front of a 2 million dollar house..not so good.
  9. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I think the lawn might have moles but I'm not sure of the size of the mounds from your photo. Does the lawn feel kind of mushy when you walk on it in certain areas? Also, is there any sign of slight tunneling on the lawn? If it is moles then there is food source there for them as well.......something like worms, grubs or larvae from Japanese beetles,etc... Again, I'm not sure that it is moles, but you may want to read a little about moles and see if that matches your symptoms