1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is this?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 7474, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

And how is it taken care of? Thanks in advance.

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Warm season annual grass, most likely crabgrass, best thing to do with it is to let the frost kill it, aerate and overseed rather than spray it out, as spray labels may say to wait on seeding if you spray.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Start overseeding the area with the CG and let its dead bodies, serve as seed cover for the fall. Overseed again in the spring, and pre-m, if you like, after germination of the new good grass.
  4. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. My plan was to kill it off with either weed killer or weed/lawn killer, aerate, overseed. There is too much for me to go through and remove by hand.

From what I understand, you would suggest just aerating over the existing lawn without any applications and then overseeding? What would be the best time to complete this aeration and overseeding (if I understand you correctly) for a lawn in northeast Ohio?

Thanks again for your assistance.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like barnyard grass to me.
  6. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Any ideas on how to take care of it?

I want to aerate and overseed my lawn within the next week of so (northeast Ohio) and am not sure if I can just go over all of this, kill it all, or have to remove by hand.

Thanks again.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

In that time frame, digging it out is your only option.
  8. 7474

7474 LawnSite Member

Would you suggest another method that would be better? I don't have to aerate and overseed next week, just didn't want to get too late into September. Is the barnyard grass something that would need a lawn killer applied?

I have the Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate that I have been told can be planted on after 7 days?

Seems the weed and grass killer would be a better method (easier) as I have a substantial area to manually remove.

Thanks again.
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing can be done,,, Ya right....Spray with Drive75 and over seed if needed................
  10. jfoxtrot9

jfoxtrot9 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in NE Ohio.

It is crabgrass. At this point, if you have alot of it, you may want to forget about spraying it. If you don't mind killing it and everything else around it, use something like Roundup. (really not recomended) It will probably cost more than you want to pay to eliminate it. (using something like Drive). Weed killer won't hurt it. Decide if either of these two options is what you want to do.

For the most part, this is something you want to prevent early in the season with a pre-emergent. Once it has a foothold in the lawn, start planning for next year.

This year, advice given thus far is your best option. Aerate and overseed, but it is too early yet around here. We still have some summer to go! I usually start aerating around mid-late Sept when the nights are becoming consistently cooler. This is when I will overseed and apply a starter fertilizer over the yard and let 'er rock!

Good luck.