What is this..?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by godjwood, Mar 31, 2010.

1. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

Hi,

Any idea what this weedy grass is? Just sprouting now in the Northeast.

[​IMG]

2. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

Wild Onion?

Take a taste.

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure what it is, but its not wild onion. Wild onion does not grow in clumps like that.

4. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

cant really tell from that, but if the grass has like white line in the middle and like a hollow inside part of the blade Its star of bethlehem. I know what your talking about though i see that everywhere, and around here its star of bethlehem.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

6. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

It sure does.

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a flower to me coming up be fore the grass like a johnny jump up as my wife calls them
    Charles Cue

8. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

grape hyisinths with the purple spike flower and lilly of the valley with the white bloom, both are a real biotch to supress, I've used Manor with MSO for pretty good control, They are short lived, one day you'll look up and they'll all be gone.... till next year.

9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Wild crocus, or more commonly called Star of Bethlehem. It has a white flower. I use Chaser Ester on it. Seems to work.

It may take a few years until you kill all of it. The bulbs that are in the soil are not controlled. The plant has to be growing...same rule of thumb as with wild onion and wild garlic.

10. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

You are right I don't know why I called it lilly of the valley and Manor is labeled for this. The thing that's confusing to me is why you'll have one lawn infested with it and a neighbor or other nearby lawn with none, tough sell trying to explain that.

John

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010