What is this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron mexico75, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some type of grassy weed. Was at a few homes where I have put down barricade and dimension. Not at edges either but in the middle. One house not real bad, the other, all over the damn place in the middle. I'm thinking there is no way that much broke through the barrier. Maybe a perennial grass that had already set its seed last year or something. The 2 yards it was at are 2 properties I just picked up at the end of the season last year. I hope the Q4 plus I hit it with knocks it out. What is it? Seems the leaf margins are wavy on all of the clumps I saw. Didn't notice any hairs.

what is it1.jpg

what is it 2.jpg

what is it 3.jpg

what is it 4.jpg

2. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like centipede
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty sure that's not centipede
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Quackgrass?

5. ron mexico75

6. MikeT

MikeT LawnSite Member

Looks like barnyard grass. Does the base of the plant have a reddish-purple tint?

7. ron mexico75

No it doesn't.

The more I look at pictures of the creeping signal grass/ Alexander grass, the more I think that's what it is. Wide, flat blades. Look at the wavy leaf margins in the picture I took versus these pics I found online.

http://commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgrass/georgiaturf/WeedMngt/grsweedpages/brapl.html
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Dallisgrass.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

"Leaf sheath with hairs on the margin." for signalgrass. According to Ron's citation at UGA.
    Are there any signs of rhizomes? Stolens? (Which would make it something else).
    Any sign of early seed heads? (Which would help identification).

10. ron mexico75

No seed heads yet. I didn't dig it up good enough to see if there were rhizomes. The leaf itself is very different to most grassy weeds I've seen. It has those distinct wavy or curly margins. Doesn't it look like creeping signalgrass? Not regular signal but creeping.
    Posted via Mobile Device