what is this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cturner, Apr 5, 2003.

1. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i thought this web site was a place were the rookies could ask the pros questions and now all u guys keep complaing about us. how did u guys start out, was it hard and were did u look for help. i found this web site and thought it was the greatest thing in the world and now all i'm finding is people talking **** about me and all the others that r just starting out. if u don't want to help us fine just stop talking **** about us.:mad:

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that the upsetting factor is that the rookies are coming here and asking the pros the most basic questions. They may not be basic in the rookies mind, but the answers are gained through experience. For that reason, it is frustrating to the Pros for rookies to come and basicly ask to skip "the learning process" of this business. The pros have payed their time to learn and its frustrating to see someone give away something Pros have had to work very hard and strugle for years to figure out.

It is also frustrating that just anyone can come here and read what they think is enough knowledge to begin a "landscaping business." Again, the Pros have put alot of time into their businesses to get where they are, and its like a blow to the chest to see a rookie go out and take very profitable work for very little profit.

Thats all from me.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think too one of the things the older guys like me (I'm 48) get ticked off about is how some younger people (teenagers for instance) come across as know-it-alls and done this/done that.

Hell, I've forgotten more than they probably know.

4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

A lot of users on this forum have a lot of experience and provide good comments and suggestion. I thank all of them. Some and I believe most elect to call themselves PROS. That is not to say they are pros just that they elect to refer to themselves as pros. I believe a real pro would not belong to this forum or any other forum. What purpose would it serve? Actually a real pro would offer endless support to someone of lesser knowledge.

5. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I am going to 'Seize the moment' and use some of this valuable space to echo my agreement with the original poster (cturner). I too am new to this business 'idea'. I say business 'idea' because I don't even have equipment yet (I know that statement made some of you choke.....hehee).

Yup....I have asked a few questions but have NOT received what I deemed good answers to 50% of the questions I have asked.....the nature of which were business metrics oriented not "Guess what this lady told me today" and "Is Toro better than an Exmark?" Two questions I posted were never responded to but viewed several times. The one question I received good answers to was "Which mower should I buy?"

Now here is what gets me....and yes I have the right to post here just like any other 'joe shmow' that doesn't know Jack about snippin a blade of grass....what gets me is all the complaining on this board about 'scrubs' and the like. Amazing the number of posts that get reply's when there is a complaint stated in the header.

Bottom Line - This board misses the mark of the intended spirit I suspect it was designed for......the free exchange of information related to lawn care and landscaping.

Some here might go so far as to suggest I take my inexperience elsewhere or learn it on my own as a previous poster to this thread implied. We are men all of us regardless of age, which should tell us all that even though we give the advice when poked for it .....the man doing the poking is still going to have to 'LEARN' it.

6. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

Where did the term 'scrub' originate?

7. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

oops...clicked the wrong thing..

THe very best learning is acheived from 'hands on' experience. Learning any business takes time, lawnsite helps provide guidlelines to work from, seems to me the details will get figured out over time. One important thing i have learned is to think seasonally, use this years experience to plan for next year.

Dave