1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not good with identifying grasses or diagnosing lawn problems. A customer asked me why this happened to her lawn. It's only in one spot. They didn't put any roundup on it, didn't set anything on it overnight etc. I mow 4 other lawns on that street and noone else has this.

misc pics 2 006.jpg
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

What Kind of turf is it???????????????
  3. Expert Lawns

another one..............

misc pics 2 007.jpg
  4. Expert Lawns

It's grass. All I know.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Virginia, I'd suspect grubworms, but I'm not sure whether that's the diagnosis up your way.
  6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

maybe someone dumped something out there?? One time an ex of mine dumped out some paint cleaning solvent out on a spot of lawn at my mom's house and I swear the grass still is dead in that spot, and that was like 6 years ago. :(
  7. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Fungus will make spots like that in St. Augustine, but hey, I'm in the heart of Dixie. I don't know about northern grasses.:confused:
  8. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

9. Expert Lawns

funny thing is, the home owner is a painter. I asked his wife if he dumped anything out there and she said no. It is so spotty, seems like it would have had to splatter quite a bit, like if he launched it from a 2 story window. I just can't see him dumping chemicals like that in the middle of his yard. Must be something else.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, we don't have grubworms in our area. So I have no idea what grubworm damage looks like. All I can go off of is my experience in my own area.

That being said, to me that looks like the lawn was killed by a chemical reaction, not a insect problem. Could be several things.

First thing I'd ask is do they have a dog? Dog urine could easily do that. If that was negative, the next thing I'd suspect was fertilizer burn. Either because too much quick-release fertilizer was spilled in that area or because the sprinklers aren't getting that area wet enough to dissolve the fertilizer. If that could be ruled out, then my next suspcion would be that some other chemical was spilled there. Could have been gas was spilled, something like that.

I suppose I'd also want to rule out pests. So digging up a small area with a shovel and checking out the dirt in that area for insects, larvae, etc. is also in order.

If you don't find any bugs, it really doesn't matter what kind of chemical reaction killed it. As long as that area is getting sufficient water (check the sprinkler heads) then you just need to remove the dead grass, re-seed, maybe apply some peat moss for shade, and water often. That should bring it back.