1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is to early to cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acutabovelandscapinginc, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Is 6:00 A.M. to early to start cutting residental yards?
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the law in your state ? here its 7.00am and personally i feel this is early enough :)
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e started at 6:00am before. not a routine thing at all though. Times when it's supposed to be 100++ degrees, it's nice to have at least a couple hours of work time when it's sorta cool out. I don't think anyone appreciates it though... My ZTR with the blower on it is LOUD beyond belief. Not something you want to subject people to at that hour. Something like 21" mowers or quieter machines would be a bit better.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

if i EVER stepped foot on any of my clients yards that early i would be fired on the spot. residential no way, commercial yea sure. i have started at 4am before on one of my commercial places, it was suppose to be like 100+ out and real humid, so we started @ 4 and got done before anyone came in for work. then we went home and drank beer.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how many of mine would appreciate a 6 am wakeup call.
  6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Residential ? No way!
  7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

We wouldn't cut much before 8. The lawns were just too wet.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of my customers are already up by 6am...actually some of them are already gone for work that early. Still I think it's a bit early to show up mowing. But check the local noise laws and see, it's a nice option once in awhile when it's forecast to be extremely hot.
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive been at residentials at 7:00 before but no earlier. Usually I start between 7:30 and 8:00.
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I think 7 or 7:30 would be about the earliest I would ever start on a residential lawn. I have a church out in the middle of nowhere that I can start on at 5:00 AM but other than that I normally just wait until 8 or so. I think 7 or 7:30 would be okay though as long as your city says it's okay.