what is top dressing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by instyle, Apr 9, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

A customer called and wants a bunch of work done, he also asked for a price for top dressing his lawn. Is he talking about just spreading a fine layer of top soil on his lawn?
  2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

topdressing can be any substrate sand, top soil. peat, organic compost, a mixture of any and all the above, In our area we use compost sand or a mixture of the 2, because of the high clay content (all clay) under the newer (20 year old homes or newer) sod. We have a special finish greens topdresser to do this
  3. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

topdressing is putting your shirt on...
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

chriscraft..what is compost sand?Never heard of it.But I reccomend strongly against adding sand to a clay base.It just adds to the compaction/drainage problem by helping the clay turn to cement.To me Topdress means adding a weedfree compost or weedfree composted ,steer manure.
  5. chriscraft

We ahve an environmental land fill where all leaves, grass clippings etc are dumped and composted into a (compost) I know some people are opposed to this as (who knows what is in the grass? being dumped. for example pesticides herbicides and insecticides. Anyway they have 2 grades or types of compost, 1 is stright compost, and the other is a 30% sand 70% compost mixture. i have used both with a Turfco Metre_Matic top dresser and noticed that the sand based is heavier and more expensive per yard. I was told by the facility that the sand was actually better for our area because of the clay, I know sand has excellent drainage properties so it made sense to us. None of the lawns we used the sand/compost mixture turned to cement tho but i will try to research it a bit with Mich States agro dept and Ohio States as well. Thanks for the info She ill get back on that. I do know that this compost is supposed to get so hot it kills weed seeds etc. They have several fires there annually from heat build up. We have not noticed abundant weed growth after using it and have been using for 3 years now. We are using 2" of it on 150 new home landscapes this month so we will see.
  6. chriscraft

LOL i just noticed youre on your head SHE, I dont know how to load websites but James M. Latham on ext #11101001 on 04/01/96 wrote an article titled (The Agronomics of Sand Construction and Topdressing) which explained a little bit about it but the web page was lie 150 letters long so i couldnt copy it lol. I know there are several more. This one is at mich states websites