What is value of used this exmark turf tracer and how to find out if it is stolen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fulano, Aug 24, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose over the next few months the used lawn mower market will be flooded with machines. I figured instead of waiting until next year to get a new mower I'd take advantage and try to get one now or in the next couple of months.
    I like my 36" exmark tthp and found a 52" exmark turf tracer (model TT20KCC) with what I think are low hours, 122 is what the hour meter reads. It has the 20 hp kohler engine.
    The guy won't budge at $3500. I know it probably isn't a steal but how good a deal is that and will I be able to find something comparable in a few months? I looked at a couple at the dealer earlier this year and they wanted around $6000 for these things.

How can I find out if the mower is stolen? Serial number is 329415.
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Not sure about stolen or not (try calling your dealer) but that sound about right price wise. Now is the time to buy mowers...

I just bought an exmark turf tracer HP 48" mint condition with 75 hours for $3300... I would buy depending on condition.
  3. fulano

It runs great cuts great and looks like new. Just a few things concern me.
    1. Is it stolen?
    2. bad wheel bearing on one of the caster wheels.
    3. throttle lever/cable is kinda funky.
    4. he says it is a 2004 but it has a small gas tank fill opening. I thought the newer ones all came with the extra large opening.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Contact Exmark directly. They will have a list of some type with S/N's of known, stolen machines. In fact, about a year ago, they had a whole bunch stolen from somewhere, possibly Texas. It was posted on this forum.
  5. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

The machine was bought in 2003 in middle TN. Call Exmark or drop them a line and they can tell you if it is stolen...etc... All I can look up is where, when, and who it was originally sold to.
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

If the price is right, what reasons do you have to suspect it's stolen? Now, if someone can't even get the name right and is selling it for $150.00, thats something to worry about.
  7. fulano

It was advertised as a 2004 model with 120 hrs. I did call exmark and they said it was an oct 2001 model. So I am going to get it this morning for $3000 which is a lot less than a new one I was thinking about getting next year. It really looks pretty good and should make lawn cutting a lot faster than just using my 36 tthp. Hopefully it is better on slopes as well. I know my jd quik trak sucks especially if it is damp at all. I'm just going to have to learn how to ride a sulky because it comes with one.

I know lawn mowers are stolen all of the time and didn't want to pay a $3000 stupid tax.
  8. raschmid07

raschmid07 LawnSite Member

Are you getting that Turf Tracer in Knoxville by chance? Your description sounds like one I looked at earlier this year.
  9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I can tell you right away that your TT52" is an 01 model due to the small gas cap. By 2002, all eXmark wb comes with large gas cap like what appear present time. The guy lied if he said 2004. The 2001 should have no parking brake, and tires smaller than current model. I would give him $2700 max if the mower is as what you described, cause it seems you need to fix caster, and throttle cable. Have you run like 15 min till engine and stuff really hot and warmed up? That when mostly every bad stuff showing up, especially engine. I have seen some that after 10 min, it starts smoking like cigar...smoke.
  10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

CBB, usually, if the machine was reported stolen by the owner and they gave the serial number, the SN lookup registration will show "STOLEN UNIT" in the Owner Detail area. For example, do your search on SN 605105.