What is with my Echo srm-260s ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by topsites, May 19, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Someone tell me the truth, do they ALL crap out, or what?

3 years full-time, ran pretty strong most of the time until early this year.
    Air filter and spark plug are new.
    Fuel is good.

First it was hard to start, then it wouldn't stay running but finally once it warmed up, I could do a whole yard but it wasted 5 minutes to get it warm everytime. I'd have to let it idle because to give it throttle shut it off.

Some folks said it was leaned out and to adjust the screws... There are none.

I took it to the dealer, they slapped on a new choke and did some other stuff.
    Now it starts half-way decent, warms up so-so and I can give it throttle and eventually runs a half-way decent WOT but 4-5 minutes later it gets weird:
    At WOT, it starts to act like it's miss-firing and I can let off the throttle some but I just can't get nothing out of it.
    This can last as long as it lasts, then suddenly it revvs up again and runs great for however long, usually just long enough to get me excited then it does the miss-firing bit again. I don't know if it's miss-firing, it just sounds like it and there is a rotten smell coming out of the exhaust when it does that (unburned 2-cycle fuel is what it is).

I removed some rust from the muffler, there is a nice hole there now but the screen is still in place but yes, it can breathe.
    I mean, should I order a carb ?
    Or is it the engine?
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the piston has gone bad. If thats true then junk it and use it for parts--but don't waste any more time on it
  3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

You may want to check the exhaust port for any carbon buildup. I would remove the muffler screen as well. Check your intank fuel filter as well.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Removed the screen and left the hole wide open, then replaced the intank fuel filter with a spare, removed and disassembled the carb and thoroughly cleaned all the parts, put it all back together.
    Checked compression: 120 psi.
    Then, it ran... And right nice.
    5-10 minutes later, sputter-sputter- sput...
    When it does that, it also sends tiny droplets of fuel back into the air filter area.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

you missed part of that, if you havent removed the muffler, and cleaned the ehxaust port where it comes out of the cylinder dumping into the muffler, do it. while thats off, check for scratches in the piston by pulling the starter.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Bad ignition system? Might try rebuilding the carburator and if it still runs like poo replace the ignition coil. If this doesnt fix then in your spare time take the shroud off and remove the cylinder from its base and inspect the piston/rings and cylinder. Very simple engines to work on.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a bad coil. With 120 psi the piston and cylinder are not suspect.