1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with Encore?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I see quite a few people in here bashing Encore, why? What is wrong with the machine outside of not being an Exmark, Toro, or Scag? I have never seen anyone with a specific reason to bash Encore, it's a "just because" thing. It's funny the way some of y'all will trash a company, or machine, for no appear ant reason - if it doesn't cost the most than it must not be any good is the mentality behind many posts.

I currently own an Encore Z42, and have been looking at the new Extreme 60. I did not have single problem with the Z42 this past year, and would call it my most reliable piece of equipment - not one break down, or issue. To spend an additional 4 - 5 thousand for a Scag, or Exmark seems almost ridiculous - anyones opinions, comments, or experience with the Extreme series is much appreciated.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For me it's a couple of things. The lack of serious engine options for starters. The biggest engine available for the top of the line Extreme is either the 25 horse B&S or the 25 horse Kaw. The biggest engines available for ZTRs are the 32 horse Generac and the 35 horse B&S. To only have a 25 horse engine available doesn't exactly scream "Extreme".

If I remember correctly they are very long mowers too. I use a 75" long ZTR and I can turn it around in places that most walkbehinds won't turn. I can also get 2 of them on a 12 foot trailer. The Encore ZTR I looked at was at least a foot longer.

While the Encore does have a lot of features in my opinion they are overly complex too.

We have a dealer in my area but he doesn't move a lot of them and they are generally regarded as starter mowers.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I don't bash,engine options,pump size,resale,cut,was a lot to do with a mower.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

There is nothing wrong with encore. There good quality machines! The Prowler mid cut is 82" long! As far as engine options they have a good range of Hp although lacking in diesel power but from what I understand that is about to change! Were I am at Encore is getting stronger in it's market presence. Mostly due to an outstanding dealer.
  5. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 LawnSite Member

I, too have nothing bad to say about Encore. My Z42 was my first Z mower over 8 years ago, and although I have had several other mowers come and go since, I still have it today as a back-up mower.
  6. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I don't think I've ever even seen a Encore. Who makes them and who normally sells them? But who knows, I've never seen a Lesco either.:waving:
  7. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

A Kawi 25hp, is not bad for a 60'' cut, they also offer a B&S v-twin 25. As far as the pumps go 2 Parker Pumps and a 3qt reservoir.
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They offer a 27 hp LC Kawasaki and have recently added a Generac and briggs vanguard options but not sure what hp they are.
  9. bigcutup

bigcutup LawnSite Member

WREBELMACHINE, I am in Joplin. Where is there an outstanding Encore Dealer in this area???
  10. ken6224

ken6224 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I have been looking at getting a new mower and the dealer here can't or want even call back with pricing, if you can't even get a price on one I bet parts would be a nightmare.