What is wrong with my f-250??!!??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Evan528, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I own a 2000 F250 with the 5.4 liter v-8 engine. I am getting 8-9 miles per gallon :(! what is the problem here? I am hearing from other owners talkin about how there getting 14-15. Im going to be pulling a trailer with this truck come spring.... im nervous to see what i will be getting then! Any body have any ideas to what is wrong with thia truck? 8-9 mpg is unaceptable!
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Is it 2wd or 4wd? Excab?8-9 is a little ow empty-I wouldnt expect any more than 11 on its best day if its 4wd.Dont forget the Ford has a ton of frontal area,it will never get the mileage of a lower,lighter truck-unless its a diesel.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have a sub that plows for me that owned a 99 F -350 reg cab p/u with the 5.4 and the best mileage he ever had was 9.3 mpg.
    He traded it for a 2000 left over F -250 with a PS for better mileage. Seems to me that around 8-10 is common for the 5.4 and if people are getting more, they are in denial.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it me, or is that kind of mileage pothetic? I thought the guys with the V-10 were getting that kind of mileage!
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

John, yes its a 4wd extended cab. why does the fact that its 4wd decrease mpg even when its in 2wd? I was actually hoping you were going to tell me theres something wrong with my truck...lol! I love this truck but the gas consumption is just killing me!
  6. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

Hate to give you bad news to but my 93 extended cab 4+4 runs 10 and under around 8 mpg when i'm pulling my 18foot enclosed trailer
  7. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Even though the truck is in 2wd mode, there is a lot of extra drag up front (differential gears, U-joints, axleshafts etc) compared to a truck that only has 2wd. This is what "eats" mileage even though you're not in 4x4. If it's any consolation, my '75 GMC dually pulls about the same kind of numbers and it's only 2wd! :eek:

1975 GMC C-35 "Blood, Sweat & Gear$"
  8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

were getting 14 mpg in our 2000 F250 extended cab 2wd std. trans V10...
  9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 f250 SD Regular cab i will check the milage next week and try to get back with you but im sure im getting at least 10 mpg I would imagine that with the hubs locked it would be less
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member