1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with my grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tallguylehigh, Jul 10, 2008.

1. tallguylehigh

tallguylehigh LawnSite Member

A good 3/4 of my yard is doing fine, but the remaining quarter appears to be dying. Other than the aesthetics, pulling on the blades come up very easily. I water the lawn a couple of times a week in the morning and I have put down Ortho insect control a little over a month ago so am really at a loss for what it could be.

Could anyone help me?

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

have u checked for grubs?
  3. tallguylehigh

I have not checked, I suspected it though and laid down an insect/grub killer.

Perhaps that didn't do the trick and I should apply it again?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to say without some close ups. I think I see some chinchbug damage just above the 9 o'clock position near the left edge, but I also see some leaf spot.
  5. tallguylehigh

I will take some closer pics today- is there anything in particular you need me to do to show you guys?
  6. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

In the brown areas pour a mixture of dish soap and water on the spot to see if you get grubs coming to the surface. If so you should be able to identify the type of grub and properly treat it.
  7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

did u get those close ups yet?
  8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Most insecticides that will kill billbugs, aphids and mites, chinch bugs, etc.... won't kill grubs. Forgot to look at your location before posting, but if you are in a temperate 4 season zone, NOW is the time to apply for grubs. Other sucking and chewing insects have several generations, but once you see beetles flying... they are about to lay, and those eggs will hatch in about 2 weeks. The first instar larvae, the youngest, are the easiest to kill. Kill these infantile first instar larvae, and next spring and summer, you won't have a grub problem.

The Ortho should have killed the other pests I mentioned, so the next thing to look at is fungi.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I see you are in NJ.... whatever grubs you may have had are in the pupa stage (not eating and impossible to kill) or morphing into flying adult beetles. The damge is done. It's their offspring you want to kill. I suspect weaken turf due to grub damage, which makes it more suseptable to fungus infections.

I would put dwon a good general purpose fungicide, like Bayelton, and NEVER irrigate in the afternoon-evening. STRICTLY morning waterings.... and even go 4 days with no irrigation (hopefully no rain) to water starve the fungus. Fungi can't grow without moisture.
  10. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member