1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is wrong with my lawn???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i'm sure some of you regulars know the answer, cus i taught you, long ago. but, let the new guys answer first, i'm curious to see what they know. A LADY CALLS- she says her lawn in the back yard was always beautiful. then, her neighbor on one side put up a fence. the lawn wasn't as good after that. she feels the digging, etc from the fence installers, caused problems to her grass. it was still ok, but not as good. then, the other neighbor put up a fence. the lawn got worse. damn fence guys. it was still decent, but not as good. then, the guy in back of her put up a fence. the grass just went to hell. she feels that the digging by the fence guys, and any crap they dropped in the yards while putting up the fences, is the reason her lawn just won't hold. she says, she can grow grass from seed, but, it never lasts, it always dies by mid july. can anyone tell me, what is wrong?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Few things come to my mind here.

A) Is there a dog?

B) Is this by chance a white fence reflecting light onto the grass and burning it?

C) The most obvious answer is limited sunlight and or water.
  3. fireguyva

fireguyva LawnSite Member

Do the other neighbors have irrigation with overspray that is now being blocked by fences?
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Air flow bobby. Air flow.
  5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

air flow, sunlight, and neighbors irrigation?
  6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Since neighbors on all sides of her put up fencing, she is probably not well liked and they are secretly lobbing round up balloons on her lawn at night.
  7. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

if they put in concrete maybe the ph has gone up. Maybe to much shade hence to much water and if the neighbors over water its chokin her lawn and the root cant breathe. or maybe she forgot to fertilze in years. How would airflow affect it? natural biological gas exchange cant be a real factor. Shade over-irrigation, sunlight, fertilizer. First check ph surrounding fences The overseed with shde tolerant fescue if a fescue lawn. The rezone irrigation if oversaturation in shade areas. If this is a trick question you must tell us.
  8. lawnartisan

i hope not to end up in this situation and do what i said in an act of futilty. Please tell us.
  9. lawnartisan

Mid july? darn it, that seem to be not enough water, but it did well before and if she maintained the same irrigation why isnt there enough water now? there is more shade there should be more water. please tell us. is it the white fence thing. are there trees and now the leaves wont blow away and they smother the lawn? :confused: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :cry:
  10. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

So, what's the answer Bobby the suspense is killing me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.