What is wrong with these fir trees?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by ozzieboy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ozzieboy

ozzieboy LawnSite Member

Today is November 5 here in south east Michigan. The needles just started browning a week ago and aside from a few gypsy moth egg masses I notice a bunch of leaking areas but no obvious signs of borer holes. There are also several branches which are broken and leaking. These trees are roughly 30' tall and all 3 are declining at the same pace. Any assistance would be greaty appreciated.

Randy

fir decline4.jpg

fir decline3.jpg

fir decline 2.jpg

fir decline5.jpg

2. HortGuy1

HortGuy1 LawnSite Member

3. ozzieboy

ozzieboy LawnSite Member

I have been scouring the MCU website on conifer issues but so far no luck. I beleive I will send a sample. Thanks.

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be Black turpentine beetles or Red turpentine beetles having had a quick look in Johnson and Lyon's book "Insects that feed on trees and shrubs"

Hope this points you in the correct direction. When you confirm pest ID, learn life cycle of pest and why the tree was attacked ie. stress Biotic or Abiotic.

Then a control plan. Good luck.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Needlecast?

I'm guessing the pitch is unrelated.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark from Ozzie's photo looks like good old Senescence.

The new growth looks pretty good.......

7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

I agree on point of the needle yellowing and the pitch being unrelated.

The yellowing actually just looks like "natural fall inner needle drop". Which is a normal cycle for the inner-most evergreen foliage to yellow and shed in the Autumn season.

All sap on evergreens is of a white to yellowish color. Thus making it more noticeable on tree bark, as opposed to the clear sap of deciduous trees.