WHat is wrong with these trees?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pryker, Jun 22, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

What the heck are these little balls? They are on almost every leaf of this oak?

oak100.jpg

2. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

What is this spider web looking stuff? It is killing this tree? What would I spray these trees with to kill this stuff?

tree100.jpg

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Pryker, Your first pic is of a oak leaf gall, this is caused by one of many small insects, flies, or wasp that lay eggs in the tissue of the leaf causing a protective gall to form, no worries, it won't hurt the mighty oak. The second pic is of a webworm, which can be controlled with a number of insecticides, but unless there is a large population they won't cause long term damage.

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Webworms, heck, pecan trees. Get you one of those extended reach propane tourches and burn the bas ......................... tards off.

5. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

The owner of the second tree told me he though it was something called bagworms. I looked it up and bag worms form those little carcas looking bags and I did not see any of them.

What do you mean by "Heck, Pecan Trees"?

Thanks for the help!!

Phil

6. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that you are supposed to cut down the bagworms and burn them, I would be cautious if you burn them right in the tree. Hope that helps.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That is not bagworms........

8. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

For tent insects I prune out the tents, then 2oz / gal dish soap over the tree. GREAT control.

9. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

There is a biological control called btk. We use it on tent caterpilliars up here. Maybe that would work.

10. "Heck, pecan trees". What's that?