What is wrong with this thing??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by deere ZTR, Jun 30, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Any thoughts on whats going wrong with this tree its a Dwarf Jap Maple this is the second one in the same spot to do this!!

maple.jpg

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

it's dying

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

good answer kris. Just had to laugh. What are the site conditions? soil type, need a soil test or could send a clipping and do a culture test. Is it in new construction, any soil admendments, watering - too much to little, any signs of insect. Lots of different things. If you could expand on some or all, maybe a broader picture of the location and direction (n,s,e,w) might help too.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I'm gonna take a guess and say that it is scorch.

5. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I cant really tell ya much more on conditions or I would have already. Its in the sun most all day except in real late in the afternoon. As for watering they claim they are watering it but I think its probably just a beer can watering deal. It is planted on the east side of the house and surounded buy red lava rock. Its right next to a bunch of evergreen bushes that have been there forever. I'm thinking that its burnt??

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

could be, the lava rock will probably help increase the heat issue.

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like it hasn't been getting enough water, have you checked the soil for moisture?

8. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

The very best scenario you can put yourself in is to fertilize moderately, plenty of water if it is a new addition and safeguard agaisn't boring bugs w/chemical to be poured under tree. After all these things are done let nature dictate the outcome. Sun does play havoc w/Jap maples and everyone I have ever dealt w/being in full sun all showed signs of stress. The usual dying back of limbs and browning of leaf edges.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Id say its stressed from the sun and the heat. Jap maples like a fair amount of shade. At least, some shield (shade) from the afternoon and evening sun.

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Thats the same effects as to wind scorch also but in this case i think its more sun scroching than anything. Just keep it watered and it should be ok.