What is you targeted market?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Apr 4, 2003.

What market are you currently targeting?

1. Wealthy?

7 vote(s)
  2. Elderly?

1 vote(s)
  3. Commercials?

7 vote(s)
  4. Anything I can get right now?

14 vote(s)
  1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just wonder what market you target and why. I am currently passing out door hangers and trying to target the highend market, mainly for the extras (chem apps, cleanups, aerating and so forth).

2. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i'm going after whatever i can get because i need the work
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I am not targeting anyone, my plate is full and have been considering dropping a couple of accounts, not because they are bad customers but because I am finding that quality is starting to suffer. I still do all the necessary items it's just the little extras and the feeling of being rushed that I do not like.
    If I was to accept any additional business it certainly would be high end property..
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

as bad as it is with the low-ballers this year you almost have to target whatever is available just to work.
  5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Ilike to target upper class for obvious reasons but my best customers are middle class working stiffs.They seem to be less likely to complain, haggle over price or be slow payers. When I say middle class I mean these guys work in factories and machine shops.I think people who have worked for eveything they have tend to appreciate someone putting in a hard days work trying to make a living.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones looking for service!

I think with all the pissin' and moanin' on here about lowballers and scrubs, nobody better get too picky about who they service.
  7. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

Elderly people with no concept of current price structure

Young people who rent and may skip out at any time leaving me holding the bag for 4 mowings

People with weeds and rocks in their yard instead of topsoil and grass

People who are picky

People who are not picky

People who treat me like a Tijuana street vendor trying to sell them a porcelein pig in a sombrero instead of treating me like a lawn service professional

People who think it's OK to mow every 2 weeks in the spring

People who don't understand that I cannot stand and talk to them for 30 minutes after I finish

Young parents that don't bother to pick up the yardful of toys on mowing day

Multiple dog owners who never pick up the dog doo

People who do not believe in irrigation

Apartment complex owners that don't understand why I want $140 when the kid down the street with the Murray did it for $60

Basically people with money who don't want to mow their own grass

Yes those and many others are the people I am targeting

8. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still building so not real choosy.... But I still have my Limits...

Lou :cool:
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

All of the above LOL.

Upper class people do not get there by spending all their money.
    Middle class are more likely to pay for mowing but less likely to have the extras done.
    Lower class no point in taking if you can avoid it. Too trashy, late payers or not at all, etc.

Middle class is about right for me now.. everyone else is targeting upper class. No one's targeting lower class but then again there is a very good reason why LOL.
  10. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Middle class seems to be the best balance.

Eventually you will have to take on upper class but I don't want to be someones yard boy. You need to have it together to deal with those people, they understand their position better than most and will walk on you if you are not at that level.