What is Your best method to Pick up/suck up THATCH??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastrunner, Apr 1, 2002.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

hi, just wondering what you guys do when you thatch a lawn and you have all of that dead grass on the surface..... I have just been mowing it into piles, like going around in circles and making piles of it, then raking it onto tarps and then throwing it in my dump truck... i have a husqy ztr with a collection system, would that work better??? i thought about it and thought it might fill up to quick. ANy suggestions?? I just want to find a easier way... i hope you guys can help me out with some suggestions. thanks. jeff
  2. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

i know you guys have thatched a lawn before... or maybe your just smarter than me:D
  3. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

Why not suck it up if you're driving around the yard anyway? Even if you fill the collector up several times it's got to beat messing with the tarp. On our trailer you won't find rakes or a tarp. Backpack blowers and collection systems have made these obsolete for the commercial cutter.
  4. Austin

Austin LawnSite Member
    from TN

i know i'm a lawn newbie, but what exactly is thatching
  5. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

I think u will be able to suck up the thatch quicker by using a 21" push mower that by raking it in to piles then sprezding out the tarp and puting the thatch on it and loading it in the tuck or trailier. HOPE this helps!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Mow it up. With the husky collection system (which I heard was pretty good) you should be able to shred it pretty thin, therefore not taking much room in the bag. Even if it does take up a lot of room, I would think it would be faster to empty the bag than to use a rake. I hate to say it, but woudn't it just be easier to try it than to post the question here?
    Austin: Thatching isnt the term, but DEthatching is the process of removing old dead grass from the surface of the lawn, using a DEthatcher. Several different types of Dethatchers exist, but all pretty much just use metal tines to pluck the dead material to the surface.

7. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

We use our Walker with the dethatcher attachment. Couldn't be easier!;)

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I too use the walker dethaching attachment. just pop it on and start mowing, does a great job. thatch is basically dead grass and debris from the previous year packed down over time.
  9. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

Walker GHS system coupled with the Walker front mounted thatch rake. I dare to compare.
  10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Actually the purpose of dethatching is to cut the roots that run across the top of the soil. If this is not done the theory is that eventually they will get so thick that water can't penetrate into the soil. The dead grass and debris is just a byproduct of what you are actually trying to accomplish.