What is your clients average income?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian997, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Brian997

Brian997 LawnSite Member

Just curious, as I see many of you guys charging high rates for your services. Those rates would never work in my area, but maybe they would and I'm just thinking you live in a much richer area than I do. What are your clients' (The ones with actual contracts, not your market demographics) average household income?

Typically, the median household income in my area is $44,000 for a couple(or common-law) household with children. $23,000 for a one-person household.
    P.S. I took the liberty of converting them to USD.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

How the heck would I know. Their income has got nothing to do with what I charge. I know what the costs are to do business in my area plus what I need to not live like an animal and thats what I charge. Usually, the more developed an area is, the more it costs to live there.
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a house cost there?
    Average house in Baltimore-D.C., cost $3-$400K, and will probably need work. Most landscape customers live much better, homes $600K to $1.5million. Many incomes $75K and up. On a recent visit to the local tractor dealer, he recommended charging $80. hr.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My clients average income lays somewhere between being able to afford me and rediculously being able to afford me.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I would say almost all of my clients are retired or could retire with ages ranging from 50-85.

The value of the home is a better indicator for us as to if they can afford landscaping.
  6. Brian997

Brian997 LawnSite Member

Typically in my area, the average house costs about $120,000, which a pretty good portion of houses in the $200,000 range. There are nice little subdivisions with that have 200k homes.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

most of the places I take care of are either commercial or high end residential and if I had to quess I would say just about all of the residential home owners make over $100,000 a year at least if not alot more. Most of the homes we do are second vacation homes on the lake and cost over $400,000 and thats their second home. I take care of some other homes in town and would guess their income range is somewhere between $30,000-$50,000. I don't see why you would even ask this because it has nothing to do with what I charge. I charge by the job and the work to be done not by what they drive or how much money they make. I make the same whether they make $30,000 a year or $500,000 a year.
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

The average household income in my county is over $106,000.
  9. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

The average in my area is $35000 - $60000 per household (2 incomes).
    You can purchase a nice home here for $150,000 - $200,000. These are the neighbor hoods I am hitting. There are plenty of homes in the $500,000 and up. I will hit those ereas next season once I upgrade my equipment this fall.
  10. BFLL

BFLL LawnSite Member

I take it your new to this site, the first thing you should do is read each person profile before you listen to what they say, most on here are kids and they do alot of bragging, They make $500,000 a year, have equipment out the ass, and have 200 account, and they just got into the business last week.

Ask advice and learn what you can, but only take what is said on here at face value. If they had as much as they say they do, I would think they would be out working. Who has time to post 5000 times on here and make so much money.