What is your experience of Shindaiwa T242

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alan0354, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is not a what is the best trimmer thread. I own the M242 and I am happy with it. But lately I read a few posts that T242 is not reliable. I just want to hear from people that own this trimmer.

Thanks

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have sold shindiawa along with other brands of trimmers and have found the T242 to be verry reliable. Most of the problems were operator error. Not putting in the right mix old gas ext... But most any trimmer will be a good one as long as you take care of it. But I personaly own a T242 multi tool at my own home and love it.

3. moores

moores LawnSite Member
    from RI

I just bought one in june and am not that impressed with it. I always have to use the choke to start it even if I just shut it off 5 minutes prior. And I usually have to pull the cord 4 or 5 times just to get it going and also if you touch the spark plug it will zap you.

4. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Light trimmer with enough power.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Takes too long to warm up (just like stratos). Lacks power overall POS. We have used many brands.

6. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

All my handhelds are shindaiwa and I have never had any problems except with a 242 I bought last year. It is constantly giving trouble. It will bog down and stop running after it gets hot. I took it back to the dealer under warranty a couple of times, but the problem just keeps happening again. The first time the dealer rebuilt the carb, the second time he put a new carb on it. the third time he claims he cleaned and adjusted the carb. I hope this isn,t the way all the new shindaiwas are going to be.

7. mcduff48

mcduff48 LawnSite Member

T-242 owners. Ask your dealer to order Shindaiwa part #81362 . This is a special tool needed to adjust the "non-adjustable carburetors used on these units. I thought that these units were supplied with poor engines until I was told by Shindaiwa service techs. what was needed to correct the running problems that always appeared after break in. I hope this helps. Jim:dizzy:

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have one that may be an exception to the rule, but I am very happy with mine. It may not have the most power but it has enough for normal trimming, runs great and is smooth. I have a 242 a stihl 85 a kaw kgt27 and a echo 280. Before I found the 85 I ran the 242 and my son ran the kaw. Now that I have the 85 my son runs the 242 and the kaw and echo stay at home.

9. John deer Z

John deer Z LawnSite Senior Member

All I have to say about this is BS! If it is operator error then all the T242's that were sold at the mayos and cox supply here in knoxville!! The fact is that the ones that dont have problems are the exception to the rule. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and replaced Clutch,drive shaft , head gear at end of spindle, Which by the way keeps comming out of gear,and keep halfting to get carborator cleaned because of loosing power.:hammerhead:

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have use two of the M242. Easy starting, 20 second warmup and is good to go.