Lawn Care Forum banner

What is your favorite tree?

5K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  Planter 
#1 ·
What is your favorite tree or trees? Please list them.

Two trees I really like are Eastern Redbud and Weeping European Beech.

Regards,
Pete D

#30 ·
Some of you guys are terrible! "A dead one"???!!!?? I hope your grass gets rust and then dies a nasty death from grubs!:D

My favorite?

A mature oak, with long spreading branches. Good for climbing and limb walking!

If I was in the south, probably live oak.

My favorite to plant?

One where I can pull back the burlap and the root flare is right there on top, not 8 inches down in the ball!

Simple enough?:D

Dan

Tree Twig Branch Trunk Wood

#34 ·
Some of you guys are terrible! "A dead one"???!!!?? I hope your grass gets rust and then dies a nasty death from grubs!

LOL Good call, Felix!!! I wasn't exactly thinking the same thing as you, but close though.

My favorite trees are the faurei hybrid Crepe Myrtles which are named ater the native American tribes. Natchez, Osage, Miami. Sioux, ect.
I also am a big fan of the Japanese Maples and Serpentine Cedars.
Bradford Pears have a nice shape, but are TOO COMMOM and too weak!

#36 ·
My favorite tree has a lighting rod in it. My grandfather had a guy put one in the tall tree in this picture. Thats were the cows liked to stand in storms so in the late forty's some guy my grandpa sold seed to traded putting those rods in that tree to pay for his seed.

I had hog roasts and musician friends of mine set up and play back there. I got married there ten years ago. I think the preacher thought we were crazy. LOL Its pretty cool back there when the corns tall.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood

#37 ·
Leadarrows
I can see why that is your favorite tree and I think it's the best one mentioned on this thread. 3 generations of family history with one tree, that's great!! I only wish I had a tree that reminded me of my grandpa when I looked at it.
Best wishes to you and your tree

#41 ·
My second favorite tree is this Tulip tree My grandfather Dad and I planted together for fathers day in 1964. I was ten.

I'm glad you like the tree. I lost my grandmother (she was 100) on the 29th of December. She was the protector of that tree. If I can't buy the place from my dad and aunt by this time next year it may be gone to me. Some times life can be hard. I lived on that farm for twenty years off and on no to mention the sixteen summers I stayed there as a kid. .

Plant Sky Green Branch Tree

#42 ·
leadarrows,
Good luck to you. This basswood(I think) is on property that has been in my family for 6 generations. I need to get some measurements on it and try to figure out how old it is. Regardless, it and the property it is on is priceless to me. I remember walking through the woods with my father and him pointing out cedar stumps where he cut fenceposts with his dad.

Water Plant Sky Water resources Natural environment

#45 ·
I call this locally found male Ginkgo, "Penny Lane". Great looking, low branched specimen. I have grafted a few trees from this fantastic tree and plan on producing many more of it. Here are pictures of it progressing through the seasons.

#50 ·
Hmmmm......................

I guess I would have to say my favorite tree is whatever one I happen to be napping under at the time. :D

I guess it depends a lot on the place. I like to see a Willow next to a river or stream. I always liked the look of a solitary 100' Beech on a estate lawn. A drive up north wouldn't be the same without seeing a shade Oak or two in the fields.

I guess I like to see any tree that can grow without someone having to destroy it's natural form, beyond that............pretty much any tree I can nap under. :)

Regards,
Active

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.