What Is Your Figure

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Apr 19, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How much depreciation per hour for a $10,000 zero turn mower?

Does anyone ever think about this when mowing a $25.00 lawn.
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

$9.13 per day on a three year depreciation.

or $5 per hour @ 2000 hours.

Do I win a prize?

That could be a reason I dont even humor the thought of mowing for $25. Nothing less than $40 for me.

Do I get extra credit for the three year depreciation numbers?
  3. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

If you go by machine hours.
    On a 25.00 lawn you should put no more than 1/5 hour on the ztr. So that would be 125.00 per machine hour and at a useful life of just 1500hrs you would be at 7.50 a machine hour. This includes no blades or repairs. On larger acreage your machine hour rate will definately go down if bidding against some of the extremely low figures I have seen.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's one of the reasons why I won't even load the Z unless I got acre+ lot(s) on the schedule, the other reason is the 48" Wb gets 1/4 - 3/4 acre lots done as fast if not faster at far less cost (nevermind depreciation, think FUEL).

Way I see it, a Z is a luxury first, an investment 2nd, it has to last 20 years unless one day I just so happen to pick up about 8-10 acre+ lots... I guess I will see this year, how many 1-2 y.o. Lco's were riding smug last year are still around. I think you really need the lots to justify it... Most of the guys I see year after year riding those machines have acreage, and I mean ACRES of turf to cut, per lot. That, or they just so happened to have a little more money than sense one day and they could afford it.

Seeing how I didn't buy mine until late in my 5th year, other guys it takes 6-8 years, some never get one, I really think it's almost as much of a status symbol, too. Kinda like riding a fancy car, either you can afford it, or you can't... But do you need one? The simple answer, IMO, unless you have at least 10 or 20 acres in as many or less lots, is no.

I do like the maintenance intervals, still yet another thing that points to luxury, and status...
    Because you really can't use it on every lot, nor would you want to, cost-wise the Z is a waste on smaller lots.
    It does help a little with the respect factor out there, but the comedy is still as solid as ever, Z or not lol.
  5. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully if you sell a $10k mower @ 2000 hours you would still get $3.5k or more out of it. Obviously the resale of the mower depends on the brand and how well it has been maintained.

$6.5k in deprecation @ 2000 hours = $3.25 per/hr

I get a prize too, right?:dancing:
  6. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Whats my figure? I'm 6'2 and way about 215 lbs. I have a pot belly, not much of a butt. My chest isn't as big as it was 3 years ago. My hair is doing the Dave Letterman thing. But when I look in the mirror I see a hunk. But that's just my opinion.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't use the depreciation method, I cost it all at once.

I figure I'll get upwards of 4,000 hours out of my Dixie and I plan to keep it until then. I got a killer deal on this one at $4,500 so my cost per hour is $1.12.
  8. puppypaws

That is a exact description of me except I make Letterman look like he has a full head of hair.
    We need to think alot of ourselves because no one probably does.
  9. puppypaws

My dealer says $10.00 and hour to a certain point. He says if you buy a new mower from him and use it 200 hrs. the first year he will use $2000.00 off on resale and possibly as much $2400.00 depending on the mower condition.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I figure around 75 cents for WB and $1 per hour on big units. I believe I get good mpg out of the scag units, usually change out engine and a few hundred dollars of little parts and keep going.