1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is your incentive? $/hr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Nov 9, 2005.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I hear an overwhelming majority of contractors on here who say "$1/Min" for mowing, etc. So why is it the same people who say $30/pmh or $35/pmh is good for doing leaves? I understand large operations with multible employees need this method to insure costs are covered, however why stoop to $30 or $35/pmh for HARD WORK? mowing is easy, leaves are a beast. What happened to $1/min?

Why do you all say "buy the biggest baddest mother fxkcing leaf blower" you can when all you're getting is $30/pmh? If you are going to stick with the $30/pmh rate then what is your incentive to buy the more effecient equipment? There is none. you should be using a back pack blower, rake/tarp and maybe a 5hp barrel blower because its going to take much longer to pay off the blower that costs 2x as much.

I shoot my estimates a lot more than $30/hr, but I'm also in and out in significantly less time because I A) have powerful (aka efficient) equipment, B) the right tools for the job.
  2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

not really sure what you are saying or asking?
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man it's already starting, it really frustrates me...

1/2 acre lot (cut for $35), light leaves (well it might be heavy to some but to me they haven't come DOWN yet thou they are finally falling like they mean it).

I get there, 10hp goat + 4-cycle Bp + Wb = $4,500 (nevermind truck + trailer, etc).

Get started, draw out a perimeter with the backpack blower in about 10-15 minutes I pull the goat and am ready to Rock-n-Roll (yes mp3 tunes on the koss earbuds with the cd player) BUT customer comes out the house and here it begins...

blablabla just unbelievable this song and dance EVERY season man, 45 dollars she tells me she has... Clean leaves and cut the grass...

Ok, no problem...
    Crank the tunes until I can't hear the motor and turn it up full throttle. Leaves DONE in 40 minutes (so closing in on the hour), hop on the mower and do the racetrack, done in 1 hour and 10 minutes total (ooops I forgot to weed-eat yup, sure did).

... Still, it looked fine considering (she even said it looked good, I wasn't TRYING to do a bad job but it does get to this point, speed vs. quality...)
    ... I *AM* glad I set my stopwatch running when I first got there thou (that saves me a lot of overtime / free time, so to speak)
    That is a regular grass customer been with me all year...
  5. BSDeality

That is my question. Why spend the big bucks on premium equipment if you're not making it back a good rate?
  6. BSDeality

brian, yes your thread got me thinking the other day, i just got around to putting my own little spin on it.
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

no prob. its convincing the customer that although you charge $60/hr/person, you can do it 3 times as fast as someone half the hourly rate. youre done in 1 hr at $60 with fast walkers and stihl blowers... bill $60. guy with murray and echo takes 3 hrs @$30..... he bills $90. he doesnt have insurance or expensive equipment so he actually profitts twice as much as you. customer is too stoooopid to realize it, though.

shhhh! dont let too many people know you read my posts... might give you a bad rep! :p
  8. BSDeality

OR, you become an expert at estimating your time with leaves simply by trial and error (which doesn't take as long as you would think) and you make much more than $60/hr! Sure, not all are going to work out that way, but i will garundamtee you that you do better than $30/35pmh on 95%