What is your man hour rate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Sep 21, 2005.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bid a job, I calculate the amount of man hours it will take plus add a disposal fee(if needed) and materials. Currently I charge $50 pmh. Does anyone do it for more or less? Does a certain job change the per man hour rate?

Thanks

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is $39.00 per hour, but be aware that that is very average for our area and I am not undercutting. $40.00 is the charge by the large firms here.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Anywhere from $50-100 depending on the task at hand. Aerating & seeding can bring in $200 per hour.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Agreed, depends on the service. Mowing brings in the lowest while overseeding and scalping brings in much more. Then there is chem apps that is in a league of it's own, but that doesn't really get billed by the hour of course. For just mowing I get an average of around $50 an hour, but that is from the time I leave the house to the time I get home.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Labor rates are at $40.00 per
    This does not include equipment rates so cost to customer will be higher

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I bid by the job, and at the end of August, I Totaled mower hrs, and gross income, and it came out averaging $62.33 per hr. That would include trimming time also.

7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely work by the hour, but when I'm quoting a job, I figure $45.00 per hour for hand work, and $60.00 per hour for anything involving power tools. Also, if ladders are involved, I shoot for at least $60.00 per hour.

I like it, though, when I bid high. I got a trimming job last week, quoted $20.00 per shrub (x6), $20.00 per flowering crab (x4), and $40.00 for a weeping cherry. I was done in 1.5 hours, including cleanup, so I knocked 20% off the bill, made $192.00, which comes to $128.00 per hour. Not bad, I'll take jobs like that when they come.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I do upscale residential maintenance. Mine is variable depending on the man hours per visit. Less than 3 M/H is 48.00 3-6 M/H is 45.00 6+-9 M/H is 43.00 and over 9 M/H is 40.00 I then use a % number for dumping and incidentals depending on plant density. Typically 10% covers the dumping etc.There is a lot of discussion at the local green industry events about rates. They range from 28.00 on the low end to mid 30s on avg. Commercial rates here are in the low 20s and there are a handful of guys like myself that are in the 40-50 per hour range. I would expect things to change next year as the cost of living here has gone through the roof. A 200,000 home 2-years ago is now 500,000 investors have invaded the town. Also ALCA that may be PLANET now or something else by tomorrow, used to put out an operating cost survey that divided the country by regions and listed costs,margins hourly rates etc. They were based on people like up filling out surveys so keep that in mind when looking at the numbers.

9. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Im at 35.00 - 55.00 per hour for most ground work or clean up jobs . If its hazardous or a hard to access work area it can be more . I dont charge extra for disposal , I figure it in to job and let customer know that removal is included in price.

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Now when you say man hours is it per man, say you have a crew of three to four, is that for each person, or is it an average for the job? Cause we just did a driveway (seal coat) two people and got paid $800.00 for 4.5 hrs of work.