What is your min. price to profit with a crew?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Feb 11, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a small lawn that many companies bid at $18, but they are one man shows. This lawn takes them 30 mins.

Now if a crew shows up, it takes them 15 mins max, but they have to price higher, because higher overhead. They make more money in the long run with volume.

What would be your just break even price to pay for your employees?
    What should be your price to drop the gate?

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe someone bids a lawn at 18 dollars that takes them thirty minutes to complete. Either they are very slow or this lawn is not that small. Our minimum is 20, we only have one lawn at this price. From the time it takes us to lower the gate, mow, trim and blow and load back up, 5-6minutes. We are a 2 man crew.

3. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

I am a one man crew and have some 18 dollar customers but they only take me 15-20 min. max. I wouldn't touch a thirty min. yard for less then $25 bucks.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

In florida most 30mins lawns go for 18 to 20. Many only charge 15, but I wont.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

To send out a 2 man crew my cost per hour is 36.00 so 30 min my cost is 18.00 anything over 18.00 is profit.

6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

A two man crew should have less overhead per/man. 1 truck instead of 2 1 blower instead of two, you get the picture. For me to break even I must charge $20. If set up properly a two man crew should be very efficient however you must schedule tight.

7. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

the gate won't drop off the trailor for less than 30. on small yards i let tem know i will drop to 25 if one of their neighbors signs up.

8. biglou

biglou LawnSite Member

we don't do anything less than $20.00. we run two man crew. we average 7 to 15min per lawn. we can do 4 in an hour where our route is tight. 2 an hour where we have to travel. we do 15 to 25 lawns in a day,depending on how tight the days route is.

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

so my question for each of you guys is what are you bring in a day with a 2 man crew. I want to see how close everyone is or how much we vary on average gross a day. my 2 man crew brings in 600.00- 800.00. My gaol is to have it closer to 1k .

10. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

My Mim is $35 just to drop the gate