1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is your minimum you lower your trailer gate for ? :)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hunlimo, Nov 28, 2007.

1. hunlimo

hunlimo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey guys!

I'm so sorry I was abandoning you guys for a while but I started about 4 weeks ago and did not have a day off since. I'm getting the good and bad of the lawn service industry. I'm sure you guys experienced this already. I'm just curious what is your minimum charge for mowing, and will you do (in my opinion PITA) one time cuts? Also how long does it take you to that property? Please remember back in the old days when you started your company or just post your standards if you a newcomer just like me.:C) .
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

$35 minimum. Might go up to $40 next season.
    I will do one time cuts if I have the time and/or feel like it.
  3. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

dont know where in fla you are but my monthly customers average out to 25 per visit-anyone who just calls and is an add on is 60 for a one time shot.
  4. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

30 is the min and usually takes less than 12 min
  5. hunlimo

hunlimo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I really appreciate the replies guys! It made me realize that I was fishing in the bottom of the barrel :). There are just people who think that the reason you invested thousand of dollars is that you could cut their lawn for 15.00...it’s funny in some way but rather makes me sad. Also like the customer who let me know that my hourly rate is too high for cutting grass. He quickly figured my 80.00 monthly estimates, he said his yard should take me 30min so I’m making 40.00/h and that is too much :)

Thanks for the replies guys!!!
  6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Since when does he decide your to expensive? tell him find someone else or go buy a cheap $100 mower and get pushing...
    Maybe he forgot who owns the lawn service...''You can giveth or taketh away.'' lol...
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean about the math genius' that like to break everything down to an hourly figure. Out of 40.00 an hour 25 of that is tax and overhead. I just sigh and tell them that is the price and it is not negotiable.I then refer them to the hand written sign on every corner that says any lawn 20.00. My one time cuts went up to 50.00 for 1/4 acre this year. In all honesty my PITA volume was way down this year. I guess when the heat index is over 120 people are more agreeable. :usflag::usflag::usflag:
  8. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

$25 this year, bumping it up to $35 next year.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I say we do what we gotta do until we can afford to tell them to take a hike, that's how it works, at least it did for me.

I'm sorry to hear about it happening but I did go through that crap too.
    Oh yes sir, more than once, more than a few times even.
    I wouldn't worry about it but so much, it's actually good for you, seriously.
    That stuff builds humility, if it were not for that can you imagine how arrogant a guy like me would be?
    If it weren't for those days my current arrogance would be like a walk in the park in comparison.

It gets better in time, it really does.

Now I'll tell you but keep in mind I'm fixing to start my 7th year...
    I don't start my truck for less than $100 a day, and I don't drop the gate for less than $30...
    But I also got money saved so when I don't have enough work it don't bother me but so much.
    Nothing wrong with having a minimum, don't go too low, but you might consider 25.

I'll tell you one secret: Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Good luck sir.
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what you make per hour is none of your customers business