1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is your most valuable piece of equiptment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Feb 9, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok. There are mowers, blowers, trimmers and such. What is the one piece of equiptment you cant live with out?

I would say the computer is my most valuable resorce. It sends out invoices and lets me research beter ways to make money.

What are yours?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

3. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Some days the item between my ears is my most important piece of equipment. (Other days it's my biggest liability.)
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Ahhh...........????? Dunno? It's all pretty inportant!! With out the truck I can't get to the job......Without the trailer I can't get my eqip on site........without the mowers there no point in even being here and so on. I think ALL my stuff as a whole I can't live with out. And yes ^.............I'm pretty important too!!!

My motivation is a biggi too!

Why do you ask?
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if you count the computer, yah. That's probably the one that would be the hardest to replace.

I remember back 8 years ago I didn't have a computer for the first year or two in this business. I was doing 50-75 invoices by hand each month. I had to manually write in my address, their address, the service, the price, the due date, put it in an envelope, write my address and their address all over again - all 50-75 times. Then I had to file my copy away, check them off as checks came in, etc. What a nightmare!

I remember when I had 80 clients, it took me like 6 hours one day to hand write all of the estimates. That's the day I got my first computer and Quickbooks.

Other than trucks and trailers, I guess the next most important "tool" so to speak, that I have is my Nextel. Without that it would be a lot more difficult to answer the phone in person, return calls quickly, page my crews, keep appointments, do quick calculations, find a customer's house (gps mapping), etc.

If I leave the house without the Nextel - I don't care how far away I am - I'm going BACK!
  6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.
  7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If your asking which piece of equipment brings in the most profit. I would say my Aerators. But I'm not selling $50 aeration either.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nearly all of my equipment is equally valuable. A better question is "What is your least valuable piece of equipment"? What do you have that you could live without and not make a big difference in your operation? This would of course have to be something that you actually use, not the old junk mower behind the garage.

In my case I would have to say my chainsaw. It's a Husqvarna 36 and it has been foul since the day I bought it. Also since I'm not insured to actually use it to cut down trees it doesn't get much use.
  9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

my wife..... I have spent more on her than any of my equipment. I could buy a weedeater a month in what she spends on nails and tanning... But hey she takes care of herself:D

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1. pda
    1a. worklog/diary in truck

I'm s.o.l. if either one vanishes...I've gotten so paranoid about it that the pda is backed up every night and the work log notations are copied every couple of days. Backups/diary copies are in a secure place at home

Last summer I had someone get into the truck ...luckily they weren't interested in the log/diary.