What is your opinion of GRASSHOPPER mowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blewis3412, Feb 18, 2007.

1. blewis3412

blewis3412 LawnSite Member

I have not heard much about them on here.

Is it a good brand?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Good brand just doesn't have as good of name recognition as some of the others. Nothing at all wrong with them, in fact they have the best line up of diesel mowers going.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They have come a LONG way with many improvements.

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

my brother had one.

seems like it held up for the first year or so, but he started having all
    kinds of problems after that

he sold it b/c it became such a nightmare.

5. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

I've got two Grasshoppers with over a 1000 hours on each one. Their fast and reliable. You can run them full speed and they maintain consistency in cut.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

At one time Florida had alot of grasshoppers there. Is it still like that??

7. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

No, Exmarks are popular now. Only a few Grasshopper dealers around now.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There are huge amounts of Grasshoppers sold in Florida every year. I am sure some areas have more, some not so many, depending on the local dealer situation.

9. cityboy

cityboy LawnSite Member

Purchased a 727 61" frontmount with powerlift this weekend. Though I don't have any time on the GH yet, from a showroom perspective, I think it is probably the most meticulously engineered mower out there. It is built heavy duty, yet has so many finish details to improve ride, reduce vibration and assist in ease of maintenance. The range of engines to choose from is a very nice list. Also, the GH has a nice range of front mount implements to further add to the product value, though I did not buy any yet. The dealer where I purchase has been selling the product for something like 20 years, and seemed to have a knowledgable support staff.

10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

In my area there are two mowes considered Cadilac, and Continetal in comercial mowers. Dixie Chopper and Grasshopper. But If you want name recongtion and what use to be a lot cheaper mower, Toro is King but not that much better.

It all depends on what is avalable with good service in your area. Dont get all hung up on brand, color, or if it "looks cool" or not. Commercial mower cost money so get what you want and what you have tried out/test drive, and be happy with. A good commercal mower new or used should last a guy 3 to 6 years (depending on condistion and usage) so get one YOU like.
    If you dont know witch is better for your aplication, then you have not demoed enough units. But asking here is the next best thing I guess.

For me the Mid mount Grasshopper was to long to fit on my trailer with all that I haul.