what is your opinion, on this drought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

now, we have been without rain before. and we have been with high temps before. this year alone, i've seen the lawns go brown, and come back again a few times after rain. but this, takes the cake. i have never personally seen anything this bad in reguards to drought/heat stress. even the lawns that traditionally handled stress very good, are falling victim in the last couple of weeks. our short attempt at aerating resulted in small, dry, chalklike cores that fell apart before even comming clean. i don't think, even a week of heavy rains, will make a difference. i'm afraid at this point, there is no recovery. what do you think?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well, we are about to get a ton of rain from that tropical storm that is going to become a hurricane tonight through saturday. We need it bad!!

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm writing off mowing for the rest of the year. The grass is fried here and we would need some serious rain to bring it back. This year sucks!! :angry:

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

yes but think of all the new lawns you'll be doing in a couple of weeks at a minimal of 3000.0 a peace theirs more money in growing grass then cutting it

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

It's pretty bad- it was like this maybe 7 or eight years ago or so. Trees are affected. Not the end of the world though. In fact I'm hoping for an earlier leaf fall than usual so I can get as much done as possible by the dec1st town leaf pick up deadline. I'm still doing 95% of my route though because they all have systems or water themselves, but there is drought stress and some seeding to do. I'll be aerating next monday hopefully if it rains tonight or tomorrow and people water over the weekend. I'm also getting away with less weedwacking/edging. Me likes it. Here people care (too much?) about how their lawns look so they water it or have irrigation so I work consistently. You are right though- it is pretty bad in these parts.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

It's been great all year.. up until 3 weeks ago. We had been getting just enough rain to keep things rolling. Now things are getting ugly.

My opinion is.. bad timing and it $ucks

7. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

good aeration and seeding fall hopefully! payup

8. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

We were pretty good until about 4 weeks ago. Has been very slow for 3 weeks now. Corresponded with some of our summer help going back to college, so in that sense it helped. However, the regular guys haven't worked a Friday in weeks....logging between 32-36 hours for the week.

Gas prices has allot of my residential customers putting off smaller, high profit, landscaping jobs (tree plantings, reseeding, bulbs, etc...) that I had scheduled for Sept.

I just got a call today for a landscape estimate for someone with 20+ acres (will see them on Friday...no it won't be anything near 20+ acres, but it will be a nice job) and a core aeration and overseeding on a 60+ home HOA (submitting that proposal tomorrow). So hopefully I'll win those and that will be good.

Very different from last years September here in Upstate NY. Oddly, even though we are slow, we are still interviewing as we will need to add personnel again for fall cleanup and plowing in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, where are you guys all from? Im in NJ, the last almost month has slowed to nothing, i cut a few that are mostly weeds anyway,but other than that, my average weekly accounts are down to 3-4week cuts :(

Who does sod work? Im going to start giving estimates for next year since i know not everyone waters their lawn and has dead grass.