1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is your percentage on closing bids?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ConPro, Mar 20, 2003.

1. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I only try and get 50%. If not I'm bidding to low. I also try and figure the customer out before I even give them a number.
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

If I bid low I get around 90% at the beginning of the season I will bid a little lower than normal and by mid spring I will have a higher price and close about 40%
  3. double e

double e LawnSite Member

When I first started the biz a coupleof years ago I used to get 90%

Now I have 4 employees- I get 40-70% depending on timing- Now I know the price to run a biz with Payroll, ins, and liability prices
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last spring I had around 20 estimates for lawn maintenance....I closed 100%. I know what everyone says, "your prices are too low", but I even raised them and was getting the jobs. It was crazy, but I consider myself a pretty good salesman. I have always had a pretty good repour with people. I have given about 6 this year and have not received any, but all estimates have been dropped off since nobody is at home. Also, if I give estimate over the phone, I have a tough time closing. For me, it is always worth the trip out to the site and meet with the future client.

5. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Amen brother. If you have a history of sales then u know that you cant sell over the phone unless the are lay-downs anyhow.

I always make the trip to the house and ALWAYS ask for the sale on the spot.
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get 100% of the residential jobs that I want. I usually bid really high on jobs I don't want.

Last year I got 100% of my comercials. This year I still have a lot still pending. The season doesn't get rolling for another few weeks, and most times I'll get the call the day they want it cut. I think this has a lot to do with my % since I figure a lot of people already have full scheduals and can't take the jobs on because they are stuffed full of residentials. (just a guess) There has got to be something going on since I do over half of the comercial jobs in the imediate area.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I find that if my wife and I both go to the site we have a much higher chance of getting what we want. She does most of the work anyway so I'm really along just to look good. Some customers would rather deal with a guy and some would rather deal with a girl so we try to figure that out quick and that person takes the leading role. It also helps to establish that family business attitude around here.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My closure rate is about 99%. But, my situation is much different than about anyone here. Under any other situation my closure rate would be about 60%.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've paid my dues and don't solicit any new business. All my new accounts come from word of mouth and the potential account must be a nice fit in regards to my equipment and route. Call me the Nazi soup kitchen guy from Sienfeld. I probably turn down 5 accounts for every one I pick up.
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

How funny. My wife says I am the Lawn Nazi because I have to have things just right to take on new business..or rather did. I lost some customers over the winter to the economy, death, and moves.

I'm out of practice, since I too relied on referrals only for the last few years, but I would rather bid a tad low than spend all Spring driving around giving free estimates. About 80% overall, I'd say is my "close rate".