what is YOUR POLICY on rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 24, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

looks like i'll be dumping another client. it rained here friday, very heavily. his regular day is friday. we couldn't get there saturday, and, we didn't work sunday. when we got there monday, the lawn was rather high, which required a double cut. he came out and asked when we were comming back. i said friday. he said, no, no way, it's too soon, 4 days is too soon. i said well, that's our policy. if we miss your regular day, we get there as soon thereafter as possible, then go back to your regular day. if you want to wait till the next friday, then it will be charged double. what is your rain policy?
  2. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

Ours is the same way,its even stated that way in our agreement."Next available day".Your in the right Bobby.Stand your ground :waving:
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ditto. if rain pushes me back a couple days i make it up ASAP and get people back on schedule. Most people understand, others need to be bludgened with a 2x4 to understand the logic of coming back in 4-5 days.
  4. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

Same here, we have to keep the best schedule we can. Can't control mother nature
  5. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

My rain policy, 1)"Sweet Mary mother of Jesus , ITS RAINING" 2) What is that wet stuff coming from the sky? and 3) 2 inches of rain means 2 inches between the drops, right?
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

"what is your rain policy?"

Put on the rain gear and keep going. Rookies.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Bobby,

I cut ran or shine sometimes, unless it's real bad. I will work on Sunday if need be due to rain delay. I don't see the big deal. We work seasonal and we're off when it rains, sooo....

Anyways, if I am forced to miss and get backed up several days, I high-cut, then return on the normal day. I will do that or skip for double cut/double pay. If they don"t like one, they get the other. No other options. It's in the contract and the rates are fixed.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It rained four out of five days for two weeks straight here. So learn how to manage your growth and how to cut in the rain. I am batting 1000 on being on time this year. Every Gardner I cross paths with was behind schedule last week , yet I only finished one hour late,and since I mulch no truck to dump.
  9. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Back to regular mowing day.
  10. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Some people just don't understand weekly mowing/schedule.....