What Is Your Position Bob?

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by Green Dreams, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just curious....

I run a fert & squirt here in SE Texas. Tom in Katy and Lee at your store on FM 529 in Houston are sharp guys that have helped me for years. I have told Lee he should write a book. Sorry I am blanking on those guys last names.

My one complaint is on the fuel surcharge. I realize things go up, but it makes you feel like you are being nickled and dimed to death.

Oh I do have one more whine... I'd like to see the old broadcast spreader design prior to the revamping in 2002 still be available. I like it alot better than these new ones.

Thanks

Andrew

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

I am the Director of Marketing at LESCO. I'm obviously the only one over here responding to messages right now, but the guys at Lawnsite are setting up a couple of additional moderator accounts for us so we can get you better answers faster.

As for the fuel surcharge, we do understand your position. I'm curious -- have you passed along any fuel surcharges to your customers? I know that a lot of contractors do this, but I don't know how common it is. This certainly isn't something we wanted to do, and I can assure you that we weren't profiting from this, but we felt it was a necessary move given the fuel surcharges that we're paying. LESCO pays for about 50,000 truck shipments a year to get equipment and supplies into the field, and our shipping companies have charged us upwards of an additional 4% for a fuel surcharge. That's more than $1 million over the course of the year. Given those numbers, we felt that we had to pass this cost along.

As fuel costs have eased a little of late, we've removed the fuel surcharge from our customers' invoices. That happened three or four weeks ago.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Bob

3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the reply. I have been out on my own for a few months now so I haven't had any increases yet. I just think I'd go up x% and say "you are appreciated." Just would seem easier to take. Lesco isn't the least expensive dealer in my area. I know your guys and they have always been eager to please, so I'm still here.

The one thing I forgot to mention was iron in your granualr fert. I can't use yours because of the potential to stain. I wish y'all would mfg a line without it. At least w/out any that may cause staining.

Andrew

4. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Andrew...

I just spoke w/ our fertilizer guru, and he told me to make sure you knew that we have a number of products that don't contain any iron. For example, item #007548 is a 32-5-7 analysis fertilizer that doesn't include any iron, and there are others.

If you need more information, just call our fertilizer product manager, Jay Winter, at 800/321-5325.

Thanks,
    Bob

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just want to say welcome to the forum, Bob. Is it possible that maybe they can set up a couple of guys in select Lesco stores to help moderate once in a while? I realize they are busy at times, but I'm sure there are other times when the guys can appreciate being able to help others. The two at our Lesco are excellent at what they do service wise, and are very knowledgable and helpful to many many people that go into there location. They are at the Flint, Michigan location (I hope they don't mind me posting this).

6. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Joe...

I'm sure the guys in Flint don't mind the positive PR at all. As for using them to moderate the boards, that's certainly something we're considering. We want to see exactly how much traffic we generate on our forum before we get the guys in the field involved. That will let us best evaluate the time demands as well as the necessary level of expertise.

Bob

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just hope I didn't open a can of worms for them...It really wasn't my place to speak forward on the matter. Oh well, they can let me know when tI go in there...they never seem to hold back their true feelings any. LOL
    Seriously though, the guys are good!

8. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Runner. The two guys in the Flint location are great!!

Mike

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a good basic program for the Cincinnati area? The .10 times 2 program isn't working all that well.

10. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

TeamGreen - let me know your email address and I will send you a PDF I have of a recommended program for your area. Thanks.