What is your procedure for new lawn installs??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Sep 12, 2004.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm ripping out a jungle of a backyard this week, about 6k sq.ft. pretty flat but its a pure jungle. I've done a few jobs like this before with good results.
    My procedure goes as:
    Clear area and dispose of debris.
    Then level what ever i can but around this area its pretty much clay!
    So I bury the old soil with a fresh layer of topsoil.
    Rake the soil level
    Then seed
    rake the seed into the soil
    Throw down some lesco seed started and some straw
    come back after the seed germinates rake the straw seed where ever i missed....

Do you guys use a roller?? I just bought one today in hopes that the lawnmower wont sink into the newly renovated aera and eliminate the bumpyness that the aera turns into..

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're adding topsoil, make sure the grade will still be more than 8" below the bottom of the siding.

I wouldn't worry about removing the straw once the grass has germinated. It will eventually break down and the grass will get thick enough to hide it before it does...

It's a good idea to use a roller to get the seed into good contact with the soil. Don't use a heavy roller though. If the lot is flat enough, you should be able to push it around by hand. If it's 3-4' wide, less than 100 pounds would be fine.

Make SURE that the ground grades AWAY from the house!

Other than that, what you've got planned looks good. At least on the screen.:)

Dan

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advise...

4. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

looks like you got it pretty well covered.
    just do not rake the straw, no matter how unsightly the client says it looks.
    ive had alot of customers do that even after i repeatedly told them not to and then they call and bi*ch when they have thin spots.

5. GRASS-PLUS

GRASS-PLUS LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Gill "Turf Renavator" that I use to seed. If you arn't familiar
    with that paticular piece of equipment go to www.woodsequipment.com
    and check it out it is really an awsome piece. Plus mine has a heavy duty
    broom that folds down off the back. And I also agree, don't rake the straw
    for the fact of dislodging young sprouts.