What is your salary

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Phil's Lawn Care, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

OK...I am 16 years old and have had my own small lawn cutting business for 4 1/2 years. I am thinking if I want to do this lawn cutting stuff for a living. I was wondering if you guys would mind telling how much you make a year and also how many regular clients you have. Also are your customers mostly residential or commercial. If you don't want to answer any of the questions then just don't post. Thank You Phil

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Let me start by saying that I sold most of my equipment this year and do not really do the LCO anymore but --
    I have a handyman / remodel company and about 5 years ago I started a lawncare division-
    During the 05 season I had about 90 residential customers of which almost 80 where yearly contract -full service- (maintenance, lawncare, trimming) and 3 HOA's 1 industrial park and a few other large commercial
    Had 3 full time crews, 2 maintenance and 1 landscape/maintenance.
    I did not work a crew unless there was a problem (and there was quite a few) If I worked a crew I paid myself $15-- same as the leads-
    I did take a salary which was 40 K and the business showed a profit last year.
    I still run the remodel side of it and also do rehab and investing in real estate and I am an agent- the time to run the LCO and the headaches of dealing with employees was not worth it to me when there was much better money elsewhere and is was easier to make-
    It took 4 years for the business to show a profit and a lot of up front investment to get to it to that point. There is no way I could live on 40 K but you need to access your needs and decide if this is something you want to invest in. If you do the labor and work the business you can make an OK living but what you have is a job that YOU are totally responsible for. If you intend to make good money or have the time to get sick or take vacation you will probably need to get to a point of employees and working the business side of it while someone else pushes the mowers.
    Do a lot of reading here about what is involved in the business side of this. Most of the guys doing this are young and not making the money needed to support a family with health care- Vacations- savings- and retirement. It will take a lot of work and a lot of time to get to that point. Good luck with it,

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If your SERIOUS about this industry you have the chance to go school your young get a degree. I know If I could turn back time I would and I think a lot of these guys would also. Landscape design, horticulture degree, spraying, fertilizing then you could still mow but you would be armed with knowledge.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In 05, it was 84.9K plus some bennies like paid health insurance (another 5K) and other stuff.

5. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I made 10k last year but that was after taxes!

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

117k but that also includes the ole homestead out in Western Kansas. We use to run 500 head of cattle and 250 hogs, Milo, Wheat, etc... The oil wells just dont pump like they use too... But then again neither does older :laugh:

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Go to COLLEGE and get a complete EDUCATION and then if you still want to cut grass.......it'll still be here.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody always has to throw in the "go to school" speech.

What a waste of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can say that because I have bachelors degree in M.I.S...

Why spend $20k for a 4 year education for a job that is going to pay you $30k a year if your lucky when you graduate...

These days, unless you are going for a professional degree (ie. md or jd) dont waste your time.

If your 16 and have 4.5 yrs exp, imagine where you you could be in a couple of years. You could be driving around in a brand new truck checking up on your crews and doing estimates all day.

Go where your gut tells you, not what some know it all on a internet lawn forum tells you, or even family for that matter. Do what you love to do....

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Wholeheartedly agree ...

Do a search and you will find many threads on this topic. Go to school NOW, get an education, and opportunities will open that will exceed your expectations over grass cutting.

justanotherlawnguy ... Statistics prove your statements untrue. Earning potential for college graduates far exceeds those without a degree. When somebody has a degree and does not find work that earns beyond a non-degree candidate, there is always more to the story than just the degree.

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well the good news is that you now have that choice. Good Luck!!! oh btw get an education first or during then you have more choices and avenues to choose from instead of just cutting grass.