1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is your take on Bi-Weekly Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firefightergw, Jul 13, 2006.

1. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Especially during drought and water-restrictions. Anyone have weekly contracts that are asking to go bi-weekly? If you require them to stay weekly, why? If you allow them to go bi-weekly, why? Are you making a short term decision or a long term one?
  2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, my guess is that you're talking bi-monthly or two times a month correct? That's pretty much all I do, and all everyone else does in my area. Some are even three weeks. I only do a couple every week, and it's usually a week and a couple of days.
  3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Yes, every other week is what I mean.
  4. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I think it's a very poor business move. You make half the money in the long run and have to do near twice the work because of the grass growing so much. Unless you charge double or atleast 3/2 I don't see how bi-monthly is a good idea.
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a comm that is 2 weeks...My 1st one and when I gave him a price, it was only then I was told how often he wanted it cut...and I did NOT price it for 2 weeks and like a dumbass I didn't change it...but thats cool I am honoring my word for this season but next year WILL be different...there WILL be price increases...

I cut 2 model homes weekly but was told on Friday that I only needed to cut bi-monthly...that hurts...My bi-weekly wanted it to weekly so I lost that income also BUT I priced accordingly and the price went up 26%...Just cut it yesterday as a matter of fact...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not getting into this stupid argument again :laugh:
  7. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I try to avoid bi-weekly cuts. I only have three accounts that I do bi-weekly. Luckily two of these accounts don't grow too quickly. The third one however gets pretty thick and with my antique machine I have to double cut and then still use the backpack blower to make it look nice. In my area everyone has a mower so customers want to play the price game. I just turned down a bi-weekly cut the other day. The person claimed that the neighbor was cutting her lawn bi-weekly for $25. I explained that I couldnot afford to cut it bi-weekly for $25 however I could do $25 per weekly cut. She is on a fixed income so I understand her situation. I explained that on a bi-weekly schedule I would be basically losing money as I would have to cut the yard twice. I have enough charity cases as the majority of my customer base are elderly people on fixed incomes.
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Oh come on GRUMPY!!! You know your not doing anything else. Yes I will do bi-weekly on my terms only if not see ya. Meaning, usually May-Oct no bi-weeklys. But if they want price dbls + $10. Especially the bahia. My weeklys are growing 8-10 inches now no way in hell would I even consider moving to bi-weekly. Contracts work the best for us. Good Luck!!!
  9. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

If one of my weekly contracted customers call to skip a week, that's fine with me, because I get the exact same amount every month from them regardless if I visit once or 4 times. Because..... My contracts have a price per month, NOT per visit. So if your property would be $40 a visit, you pay $160 a month. Which is good because now I can come every 7-8-9 or even 10+ days and still get the same amount.

Bi - means two. So bi-monthly would be every two months. Bi-weekly is every two weeks.
  10. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

During times of slow growing conditions I will put those clients that do not have a sprinkler system to an every other week schedule. I don't feel right mowing a yard that hasn't grown during a week just to make money. I feel like I'm cheating my client. I remember what my mother always told me what goes around comes around.